f. Palazzo Farnese. ROME. U- R- on the Tiber (L.B.J. 263
Caesar was murdered on March*15th, 44 B.C. — The Via de' Giub-
bonari leads hence to San Carlo ai Catinari (p. 265).
From the Campo di Fiore three parallel streets lead to the
S.W to the Piazza Farnese, with two fountains. Here stands the —
*Palazzo Farnese (PI. II, 14), one of the finest palaces at
Rome, begun before 1514 by Card. Aless. Farnese, afterwards Pope
Paul III. (1534-49), from designs by Ant. da Sangallo the Younger
(p. lxxvi), continued after his death (1546) under the direction of
Michael Angelo, and completed by the construction of the loggia
at the back, towards the Tiber, by Giac. detta Porta in 1580.
Michael Angelo's plans had included a second court (behind the-
present court), to be decorated with the Farnese antiquities now at
Naples, and a bridge connecting the palazzo with theVilla Farnesina
on the other side of the Tiber. The building materials were taken
partly from the Colosseum and partly from the Theatre of Marcellus.
This palace was inherited by the kings of Naples, whose descendant,
Count Caserta, stili owns it (comp. p. 116). Since 1874 it has been
let to the French government, whose embassy to the Italian govern¬
ment is established here. On the second floor is the French Roman
School (p. 167). The triple colonnade of the vestibule and the
two arcades of the court were designed by Sangallo, the arcades
being in imitation of the Theatre of Marcellus; the upper story
(originally open) and the beautiful cornice are by Michael Angelo.
The court contains two antique sarcophagi (that to the right said to
be from the tomb of Caecilia Metella, p. 443). The oblong Galleria,
or hall, on the first floor, contains admirable mythological frescoes
by Ag. and An. Caracci and their pupils, but is not accessible.
The church of Santa Brigida (PI. II, 14), on the N.W. side of the
Piazza Farnese, occupies the site of the house of the Swedish princess
Bridget (1302-73), who wrote her 'Revelationes' here and was canonized
in 1391. — In the Via Giulia (p. 262), behind the Palazzo Farnese, is
situated the round church of Santa Maria della Morte (PI. II, 11;
closed), founded by the fraternity of the Fratelloni della Buona Morte.
On Nov. 2nd wax figures referring to death are exhibited in the chambers
below the church.
From the Piazza Farnese a line of streets, called the Via di
Monserrato and Via de' Banchi Vecchi, leads to the N.W. to the
Ponte Sant' Angelo (p. 356). On the right in the first of these is'
San Tommaso di Canterbury (PI. II, 11), or degli Inglesi
(p. 165), the church of the English College, rebuilt in 1888 on the
site of a church said to have been founded by a king of Wessex in
the 8th century. It contains among others the simple but noble
tomb of Cardinal Bainbridge, Archbishop of York (d. 1514). The ad¬
joining college contains portraits of English cardinals fromWolsey
On the left side of the Via di Monserrato, farther on, stands Santa
Maria di Monserrato (PI. II, 11 ; open in the morning only), the nationàl
Spanish church, with a hospice. It was erected in 1495 by Ant. da