262 H- R- on the Tìber (L.B.). ROME. f- Campo di Fiore.
cletus) ; above, *Head of Marsyas, a good copy of a bronze statue by
Myron (comp. p. 349); head of an athlete; *Head of Mars, an excellent
Roman work of the Traj an period ; *Head of Apollo in the severe style
(Apollo Barracco); above, faded *Portrait of Epicurus; head of Helios
(not Alexander the Great). — End-wall : upper part of an archaic statuette
of Hermes hearing a ram upon his shoulders (as protector of flocks);
above, on the left, head from a statue of a boy by Polycletus. In the
centre, good copies of the heads of the Doryphorus and Diadumenos of
Polycletus. Back-wall : head of Aphrodite (4th cent. B.C.) ; finely executed
Attic sepulchral and votive reliefs ; head of Apollo ; statuette of a woman
in the severe style. Glass case with vases, terracottas, and articles in
vitreous paste. Fragment of an archaic relief and of a statuette of
Poseidon; head of a centaur (comp. p. 280); Hellenistic colossal head of
a woman; two statuettes of women hearing jars, in rosso antico; dancing
satyr; *Bust of an athlete; well - executed fragment of a relief with
horses' heads. End-wall: *Fragment of an Attic votive relief. To the
right of the entrance : Roman bust of a boy ; Greek head of a girl ; upper
part of an Attic sepulchral relief ; *Head of a Woman and *Head of
an Old Man, both from Attic sepulchral reliefs of the 4th cent. B.C. ;
hand of Myron's Discobolus (comp. p. 394). In the centre : *Woundcd
dog (period of Lysippus).
Farther along the Tiber is San Giovanni de' Fiorentini
(PI. II, 12), the handsome national church of the Florentines. The
building was begun, prior to 1521, by desire of Leo X., from a
design by Jac. Sansovino (which was preferred to competing plans
of Raphael, Ant. da Sangallo the Younger, and Peruzzi); and the
difficult task of completing the substructures on the river was
executed by Sangallo. Michael Angelo, and on his death, Giac.
della Porta and Carlo Maderna were afterwards engaged in the
work. The fagade was added by Aless. Galilei in 1734. In the
right transept is a picture by Salv. Rosa (SS. Cosmas and Da-
mianus at the stake). — Near the church an iron suspension-bridge
constructed in 1863 crosses the river (toll 5 e. ; (p. 414).
To the S.E. from San Giovanni runs the Via Giulia (p. 264).
f. Quarter to the S. of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele as
far as the Piazza Montanara. Isola Tiberina.
To the S. of the Pai. della Cancelleria (p. 259) lies the busy
Piazza Campo di Fiore (PI. II, 14; vegetable-market every morn¬
ing). Heretics and criminals used to be put to death here. Among
the former was the philosopher Giordano Bruno (b. 1548), whose
death on Feb. 17th, 1600, is commemorated by a bronze *Statue
(by Ettore Ferrari), erected in 1889 on the site of the stake.
To the E. of the Campo di Fiore once lay the Theatre of
Pompey (PI. II, 14). In the court of the Palazzo Pio or Righetti
(entrance, Via Biscione 95), a bronze statue of Hercules (p. 396)
and substructures of the theatre were discovered. The semicircular
curve of the street by Santa Maria di Grottapinta distinctly shows
the form of the ancient auditorium; the stage lay below the present
Via de' Chiavari. Behind the latter extended the large Porticus
Pompeiana, with its colonnades and halls, in one of which Julius