e. S. Andrea della Valle. ROME. II- R- on the Tiber (L.B.). 257
The church presents a most imposing sight on 31st Dee., on the
festival of St. Ignatius (31st July), and during the Quarant'ore (p. 164;
the two last days of the Carnival), on which occasions it is brilliantly
illuminated in the evening. During Advent and Lent (Frid. excepted),
and at various other seasons also, sermons are preached here about
11 a.m., often by priests of great ability.
Adjoining the church on the S. is the former Casa Professa
of the Jesuits, now used for military purposes, adjacent to which,
No. 1 a in the Via d'Aracoeli (p. 233) leading to the Capitol, is the
entrance to the rooms of St. Ignatius (Mon., Wed., & Fr. 9-11;
apply to the sacristan of the Gesù). Opposite is the Palazzo
Bolognetti, which bounds the Piazza del Gesù on the S.
The dome in front of us in the Corso Vittorio Emanuele be¬
longs to the church of Sant' Andrea della Valle (see below). A few
hundred paces to the W- of the Gesù the Corso is crossed by the
Via di Tor Argentina (p. 265).
Farther on, to the left, is the rear of the Palazzo Vidoni
(PI. II, 14), formerly belonging to the Caffarelli, and now the prop-
erty of Prince Giustiniani-Bandini. The chief fagades are in
the Piazza della Valle (W.) and the Via del Sudario (S.). The build¬
ing (partly restored) was designed by Raphael and erected by
Lorenzetto. On the staircase is the so-called Abbate Luigi, a
Roman figure in a toga, formerly placed at the N. angle of the
palace and used as the bearer of pasquinades.
Opposite the Palazzo Vidoni, in the Via del Sudario, is the Cappella
del Sudario (1604), the royal court-church since 1870. It contains modern
frescoes by Cesare Maccari. — The Via del Monte della Farina leads
hence to San Carlo ai Catinari (p. 265).
In the small Piazza della Valle a statue of the Sicilian author,
the Abbate Nicola Spedalieri (1740-95), by M. Rutelli, was erected
The domed church of *Sant' Andrea della Valle(Pl. II, 14),
begun by P. Olivieri in 1594 on the site of several earlier churches,
and completed by C. Maderna, has a florid fagade added in 1665
from designs by Carlo Rainaldi. The well-proportioned interior,
with the huge frescoes by Domenichino, affords an excellent example
of the late Renaissance style, though it has been too gaudily 're¬
stored' in 1905-7.
On the right the 2nd Chapel (Strozzi) contains copies in bronze
of the Pietà (p. 367) and the Rachel and Leah (p. 217) of Michael
Angelo, whose influence is apparent in the design of this chapel
itself. — On the left the lst Chapel (Barberini) is adorned with
several marble statues of the school of Bernini. — Above the last
arches in the Nave are the monuments of the two popes of the
Piccolomini family, brought hither from the old church of St. Peter;
on the left that of Pius IL (d. 1464; p. 49), by Pasquino da Monte¬
pulciano^); on the right that of Pius III. (d. 1503),by Frane.