d. S. Maria della Pace. ROME. IT- Kon the Tiber (L.B.). 255
Michael Angelo's Sibyls are justly extolled as creations of a sublime
imagination, striking the spectator with their supernatural majesty; but
these female figures of Raphael are pre-eminently human and lovable'.
In the lunette above the Sibyls are Prophets by Timoteo Viti
(p. 145): right, Jonah and Hosea; left, Daniel and David.
At the sides of the lst Chapel on the left are two fine monu¬
ments of the Ponzetti family, of 1505 and 1509. Admirable *Altar-
piece in fresco by Bald. Peruzzi, who here rivals Raphael and
Michael Angelo: Madonna between St. Brigitta and St. Catharine,
in front the donor Card. Ponzetti kneeling (1516). The vaulting
above contains scenes from the Old and New Testament, in three
rows, also by Peruzzi. — The 2nd Chapel on the right (Cap. Cesi)
has heavy but admirably executed decorations by Simone Mosca
(about 1560); to the right is a beautiful recumbent statue of Fran¬
cesca Carduli-Cesi (d. 1518), mother of Card. Federico Cesi. — To
the left, under the dome, is the entrance to the sacristy and cloisters
(see below). Over the first aitar on the left, Adoration of the Shep¬
herds, by Sermoneta; over the niche, the Death of Mary, by
Morandi. The second aitar, with handsome marble-work, partly
gilded, attributed to Pasquale da Caravaggio, is of 1490. The
high-altar is adorned with an ancient and highly revered Madonna;
on the vaulting are pleasing 'putti' by Frane. Albani. Over the
adjacent aitar to the right, Baptism of Christ, by Sermoneta. Over
the niche, Mary's first visit to the Tempie, by Bald. Peruzzi (re-
touched). — Newly-married couples usually attend their first mass
in this church.
The *Cloisters, constructed by Bramante (p. lxviii) by order
of Card. Caraffa in 1504, are interesting. On the groundfloor are
arcades, above which, between the pillars and thus over the arches,
is a series of columns. By the right wall, the tomb of Bishop
Bocciacio of Modena (d. 1497). Entrance through the church, or
by the Vicolo dell' Arco della Pace 5.
The Via de' Coronari (p. 246), which passes a little to the N.
of these two churches, is the shortest route (6-8 min.) from the
Piazza Navona to the Ponte Sant' Angelo (p. 356).
From the portai of Santa Maria della Pace the Via détta Pace and the
Via di Parione lead straight to the Via del Governo Vecchio (p. 259).
e. Prom the Piazza Venezia to the Ponte Sant' Angelo.
Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
The wide Corso Vittorio Emanuele (PI. II, 17, 14, 12), con¬
structed since 1876 through the most closely built quarters of medi¬
eval Rome, is a continuation of the Via Nazionale described at
pp. 199-202, and facilitates communication between the centre of
the city and the Vatican quarter. The street is always crowded