212, I- N. and E. Hills. ROME. d. Campo Verano.
are restored mosaics of the time of Pelagius II. (578-590; the
earliest showing traces of the influence of the E. empire): Christ,
right SS. Peter, Lawrence, and Pelagius; left SS. Paul, Stephen,
and Hippolytus. The canopy dates from 1148 ; its cupola is modern.
By the wall at the back is the handsome episcopal throne (1251). —
We now descend the flight of steps from the prolongation of the
aisles of the anterior church and reach the aisles of the church of
Pelagius. The nave of the old church is now partly occupied by
the crypt, entered from above, partly by the modern marble columns
supporting the floor of the above-mentioned choir. In the vestibule
ofthe originai church, behind anironrailing, is the Tomb of Pius IX.
(p. xliv). The vestibule is gorgeously decorated with mosaics, from
designs by L. Seitz, but the tomb itself, according to the injunctions
of the deceased pope, is of the plainest character, consisting of a
marble sarcophagus in a niche painted like those in the catacombs.
The handsome Romanesque Cloisters (Chiostro; no women ad¬
mitted) contain numerous fragments of sculptures and inscriptions
built into the walls; in the corner to the right of the principal
entrance is the lid of a sarcophagus adorned with a representation
of a Pompa Circensis.
Adjoining the church is the Campo Verano, an extensive
cemetery, laid out in 1837, and repeatedly enlarged since. By the
entrance are colossal figures of Silence, Charity, Hope, and Medita-
tion. Among the numerous handsome monuments is one com-
memorating the Battle of Mentana (p. 105), with appropriate in¬
scriptions. Fine *View of the mountains and the Campagna from
the higher part of the cemetery, reached by several flights of steps.
Farther on, in the Via Tiburtina, is the new Jewish Cemetery,
with a crematorium. ------------
The Viale Principessa Margherita (PI. II, 30, 32) leads from
Santa Bibiana (p. 210) to the N.W to the Piazza Guglielmo Pepe
(with remains of the Aqua Julia, p. 209) and the (10 min.) Railway
Station (p. 190). To the S.E. it leads in 5 min. to the so-called
Temple of Minerva Medica (PI. II, 32), the ruin of an ancient
Nymphaeum in the form of a decagon, 55 yds. in circumference,
with deep niches in the walls, and originally coated with marble
below and stucco above. In the middle ages the ruin was called
Le Galluzze, a name which has been erroneously conjectured to
be a corruption of (the Thermse of) 'Gaius and Lucius Csesar', which,
however, never existed. The vaulting collapsed in 1828. This inter¬
esting building dates from the imperiai period.
The Via Conte Verde, the middle street running from the S.E.
side of the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, leads to the church of Santa
Croce in Gerusalemme (p. 213); the Via Emanuele Filiberto,
to the right, leads to the Lateran (p. 347) ; and the Via Principe
Eugenio, on the left, to the Porta Maggiore.