d. S. Lorenzo fuori le Mura. ROME. !• N. and E. Hills. 211
In 1864 the fagade was embellished with paintings resembling
mosaic, on a gold ground, representing the founders and patrons
of the church: Pelagius IL, the Emp. Constantine, Honorius III.,
Pius IX., Sixtus III., and Hadrian I. The vestibule is borne by six
ancient columns, above which is an architrave with mosaics (St. Law¬
rence and Honorius III.) ; it contains retouched frescoes (end of the
13th cent.), two tombs in the form of temples, and two rude early-
Christian sarcophagi. The door-posts rest on lions.
The Interior consists of two parts. The anterior Later Church,
which chiefly dates from Honorius III., consists of nave and aisles,
separated by 22 antique granite and cipollino columns of various
sizes. On the capital of the 8th column on the right are a frog and
a lizard, and it is therefore supposed, but without authority, to
have been brought from the porticus of Óctavia, where two sculptors,
Batrachus (frog) and Saurus (lizard), are said to have adopted this
method of perpetuating their names. The wall above the straight
entablature is adorned with frescoes by C. Fracassimi (d. 1868):
on the right, history of St. Lawrence ; on the left, that of St. Stephen.
The open roof also was recently gaudily painted. The rich pave¬
ment, in opus Alexandrinum, dates from the 12th cent.(p. lxiv).
Under a mediaeval canopy to the right of the entrance is an antique
Sarcophagus with a representation of a wedding, in which in 1256
the remains of Card. Fieschi, nephew of Innocent IV., were placed.
To the left are old frescoes of the life of St. Lawrence. In the nave
are the two elevated ambones, that to the right (p. lxiii) for the gòspel,
near which is a spirai candelabrum for the Easter candle, that to
the left for the epistle (12th cent.). On the triumphal arch are
modern paintings (resembling mosaics) of the Madonna and saints.
At the extremity of the N. aisle a flight of 13 steps, on the left,
descends to a chapel and to the catacombs.
Adjoining this building of Honorius on the E. is the Older
Church, erected by Pelagius, the pavement of which lies about
10 ft. lower. The raised centrai space, to which seven steps ascend
on each side of the Confessio, dates from the time of Honorius,
who converted the nave of the older church into a choir with a
crypt by laying a pavement halfway up the columns, and caused
the aisles to be filled up. The rubbish was removed in 1870 and
the originai level of the aisles exposed to view. The church of
Pelagius, a basilica in the style of Sant' Agnese Fuori (which is the
only other church at Rome with galleries), was originally entered
at the opposite (E.) end. Twelve magnificent fluted columns of
pavonazzetto with Corinthian capitals (those of the two first are
formed of trophies, on the benches in front of them are mediaeval
lions) support the straight entablature, which consists of antique
fragments and bears a gallery with graceful smaller columns and
arches. On the triumphal arch, of which this is the originai front,