d. Piazza Vitt. Emanuele. ROME. I- N. and E. Hills. 209'
monuments of the Popes (1.) Paul V- (Camillo Borghese, d. 1621)
and (r.) Clement Vili. (Aldobrandini, d. 1605) are by pupils of
Bernini. The crypt contains tombs of the Borghese family.
For the neighbouring church of Santa Prassede, see p. 214.
To the S.E. and S; from the Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore run
two important thoroughfares : the Via Carlo Alberto (see below), on
the left, and the Via Merulana (PI. II, 26, 28), on the right, lead¬
ing to the Lateran (p. 343 ; tramways Nos. 4 and 8 in the Appehdix).
In the Via Merulana the so-called Auditorium of Msecenas
(PI. II, 29), a building in 'opus reticulatum', was discovered in 1874. The
walls were decorated with paintings, which are now almost obliterated.
Outside the S. and E. walls are seen fragments of the Servian Watt
(p. xxx). It is very doubtful whether the Gardens of Msecenas, which
lay between the Servian Wall and the cemetery of paupers and slaves
(remains of its 'puticuli' or well-graves found near the Via Napoleone
Terzo), extended to this point. Certainly this building was not a lecture
hall, but more probably a greenhouse.
Opposite is the large Palazzo Field-Brancaccio (PI. II, 26), built
in 1892-96 by L. Carimini. Its extensive garden embraces the area of
most of Trajan's Thermse, the chief relic of which is a reservoir known
as the Sette Sale, consisting of seven, or rather, nine parallel vaulted
chambers, which may originally date from Nero's 'Golden House' (p. 303;
not accessible). The celebrated group of the Laocoon (p. 400) was found
here. One of the summer-houses contains a cow in basalt, in the early
Egyptian style, fromthe tempie of Isis mentioned on p. 234. — Hence
to San Martino ai Monti, see p. 215. '
We follow the Via Carlo Alberto. On the left is the church
of Sant' Antonio Abbate, now a hospital, with a portai of 1269.
Sant' Antonio is the tutelary saint of domestic animals.
The Via San Vito, a cross-street to the right, leads from the Via
Carlo Alberto past the church of Santi Vito e Modesto, with an
altar-piece (fresco) by Antoniazzo Romano (1483), to the simple Arch
of Gallienus (PI. II, 29). This honorary arch was erected in 262
by a certain M. Aurelius Victor, in honour of the Emp. Gallienus,
'on account of his bravery, surpassed only by his piety'. Farther
on in the Via San Vito is the Gothic church of Sant Alfonso' de'
Liguori, built by a Mr. Douglas in 1855. St. Alfonso (1696-
1787) was the author of the 'Theologia Moralis' and founder of the
Order of the Redemptorists. Beyond the Via Merulana are the
churches of Santa Prassede and San Martino ai Monti (pp. 214,215).
The Via Mazzini and Via Rattazzi lead to the left from the Via
Carlo Alberto to the Piazza Manfredo Fanti (PI. II, 30), adorned
with gardens. A fragment of the wall of Servius is preserved in
this piazza (comp. above and p. 190).
The Via Carlo Alberto ends at the large Piazza Vittorio Ema¬
nuele (PI. II, 29), which also is laid out in attractive gardens.
Here, on the left, are considerable remains of a water-tower of the
Aqua Julia, in the niches of which the so-called Trophies of Marius
(p. 272) stood until 1590. The name Trofei di Mario has been
commonly but groundlessly in use since the 15th century. On the
Baedeker. Central Italv. !5t.h Edìt