208 1- N. and E. Hills. ROME. d. 8. Maria Maggiore.
boards from the 'Santa Culla' or 'Cradle of the Infant Christ'. Be¬
tween the flights of steps descending to the Confessio is a kneeling
Statue of Pius IX., by Jacometti. — In the apse of the Tribune
are *Mosaics by Jacobus Torriti (1295): Coronation of the Virgin,
with saints, near whom are Pope Nicholas IV. and Card. Jac. Colonna
(comp. p. lxv). The four reliefs by Mino da Fiesole were executed
in 1463-64, at the expense of Card. d'Estouteville, for the ciborium
over the high-altar. The subjects are the Nativity, the Adoration
of the Magi, the Assumption (with portrait of the cardinal to the
right), and the Foundation of Santa Maria Maggiore.
At the beginning of the nave are the tombs of Nicholas IV.
(d. 1292) on the left, and Clement IX. (d. 1669) on the right, erected
by Sixtus V. and Clement X. respectively. Right Aisle. First chapel:
Baptistery, with a fine ancient font of porphyry and the tomb of a
delegate of the king of Congo (made 'Marquis of Nigritia' by Ur¬
ban Vili.), with bust by Bernini (1629).
Adjacent, to the right, is the Sacristy, with an aitar of the school
of Andrea Bregno and further portions of the ciborium by Mino da Fiesole
(see p. 207). — In the corridor adjoining the baptistery to the left is a
bronze statue of Paul V. by San quirico. A pillar in the open court com-
memorates the conversion to Roman Catholicism of Henri IV. of France.
Farther on is the Cappella del Crocifìsso, with 10 columns of
porphyry. — In the right transept is the sumptuous Sixtine Chapel,
constructed by Dom. Fontana under Sixtus V., and gorgeously
restored; in the niche on the left, an altar-piece (St. Jerome) by
Ribera: on the right, occupying the whole wall, the monument of
Sixtus V., with a statue of the pope by Valsoldo; on the left, monu¬
ment of Pius V. by Leonardo da Sarzana. Over the aitar, a ca¬
nopy in gilded bronze represents angels hearing the chapel; in the
'Confessio' a statue of San Gaetano by Bernini, and by the aitar a
group of the Holy Family by Cecchino da Pietrasanta (1480). —
At the end of the right aisle, the Gothic monument of Card. Con¬
salvi (Gunsalvus,- d. 1299), by Johannes Cosmas.
Left Aisle. Tomb of De Levis, composed of two monuments,
by a pupil of Andrea Bregno. lst Chapel (of the Cesi): Martyrdom
of St. Catharine, altar-piece by Girol. da Sermoneta; on the right
and left two recumbent bronze statues to the memory of cardinals
of the family. 2nd Chapel (of the Pallavicini-Sforza), said to have
been designed by Mich. Angelo : Assumption of Mary, altar-piece
by Sermoneta. — In the left transept, opposite the Sixtine
Chapel, is the Borghese Chapel, constructed by Flaminio Ponzio
in 1611, and also covered with a dome. Over the aitar, which is
gorgeously decorated with lapis lazuli and agate, is an ancient and
miraculous picture of the Virgin (almost black), painted according
to tradition by St. Luke, which was carried by Gregory I. as early
as 590 in solemn procession through the city. The frescoes in the
large arches are by Guido Reni, Lanfranco, Cigoli, etc. The