202 I- N- and E. Hills. ROME. e. Piazza del Quirinale.
netti, on the right (No. 158; staircase on the right of the court). —
To the S., behind the church of Santa Caterina di Siena, with a
baroque fagade by G.B. Soria (1630), rises the Torre delle Milizie,
erected about 1200 by the sons of Petrus Alexius, also called Torre
di Nerone, because Nero is popularly believed to have witnessed the
conflagration of Rome from the top (comp. p. 243). — In the S.E.
angle of the little piazza, at the beginning of the Via Panisperna,
is the church of Santi Domenico e Sisto, with its lofty flight of
steps, built by Vincenzo della Greca about 1640.
The Via Panisperna leads to Santa Maria Maggiore (comp. p. 172).
In this street, to the left, is Sant' Agata in Subura (PI. II, 23) or
dei Goti, the ancient church of the Arian Goths, rebuilt in 1633, and
now possessing 12 granite columns only of the originai edifice. It be¬
longs to a seminary for Irish priests, and contains the Monument of
Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847; who bequeathed his heart to this church),
with a relief by Benzoni, erected in 1856. The tomb of John Lascaris,
author of the first modern Greek grammar (d. 1535), is also in this church.
— Farther on is the church of San Lorenzo in Panisperna (p. 206).
The Via Nazionale now descends the slopes of the Quirinal
(95 ft.) in a wide curve. The flight of steps on the left descends
to Trajan's Forum (p. 312). Farther on, to the left, is a mediaeval
tower of the Colonna, with immured fragments from the Forum of
Trajan. At the next corner, to the left, stands the Waldensian
Church, and to the right the Teatro Drammatico Nazionale
(1884). The cross-street diverging at this point to the right (N.)
is the Via Pilotta (pp. 185, 241), which skirts the rear of the
Palazzo Colonna (p. 241), crosses the small Piazza Pilotta, with
the picturesque and unsymmetrical Pai. Muti - Papazzurri, by
Mattia de' Rossi (1644), and leads to the Fontana di Trevi (p. 184).
The Via Nazionale passes the S. fagade óf the Pai. Colonna and
then skirts the S. end of the long Piazza di Santi Apostoli (p. 240)
to the Piazza de Venezia (p. 231).
From the Quattro Fontane (p. 188) the Via del Quirinale
(PI. II, 24, 21) leads to the S.W. to the Piazza del Quirinale. To
the right in the Via del Quirinale are buildings connected with the
royal palace, known as the Manica Lunga; to the left the church of
Sant' Andrea al Quirinale, elliptical in ground-plan, built by
Bernini in 1678 and richly decorated. Farther on is a small public
garden, with a bronze equestrian statue of Carlo Alberto, father of
Victor Emanuel IL, by Romanelli (1900).
At the end of the, street, to the right, lies the royal palace, the
chief fagade of which is in the Piazza del Quirinale (PI. II, 21).
In the centre of the piazza are a Fountain with an antique granite
basin, erected in 1818 and fed by the Acqua Felice; an Obelisk,
48 ft. high, removed hither from the Mausoleum of Augustus (p. 227)
in 1787; and the two colossal marble **Horse Tamers. These
admirable groups, I672 ft. high, are works of the imperiai age, and