116 Route 12.
12 M. Barbarano (1495 ft.), on a barren moor, ia the highest
point of the railway. — A viaduct of seven arches, 164 ft. in height,
crosses the deep bed of the Fosso Cacchiano.
15 M. Capranica (1302 ft.). The little town (Alb. dell' Angelo,
poor), with 3335 inhab. and two pointed church-towers, lies l3/4 M.
to the left of the principal station. In the church of San Fran¬
cesco is the tomb of two Counts of Anguillara (d. 1408). Close to
the town is the station of Madonna del Piano, on the branch-line
that diverges from Capranica to (5 M.) Ronciglione (1446 ft. ;
Alb. Aquila d'Oro, poor; Roma), a quaint little town(6056 inhab.),
rising with its walls and towers above a rocky ravine and com-
manded by a ruined castle, about iy4 M. to the S.E. of the Lago
di Vico (p. 115).
An excursion may be taken from Capranica (2*/2 M. ; 4V2 M. from the
principal station; diligence or carr. in l^hr.), or from Ronciglione
(3 M.) to the little town of Sutri (954 ft. ; Alb. Vanucci), the ancient
Etruscan Sutrium, picturesquely situated on the narrow crest of a hill
of tufa. Sutrium is frequently mentioned as the ally of Rome in the
wars against the Etruscans, from whom it was wrested by Camillus in
389 B.C. (Claustra Etruriae, the key of Etruria), and in 383 it became
a Roman colony. In mediseval history Sutri is known for the synod of
1046, which deposed Pope Sylvester III. and Pope Gregory VI. for simony.
The deep ravine of the Fosso Cacchiano contains numerous Etruscan
tombs, and, on the S. side, fragments of the ancient walls. Three of the
five gates are ancient, two towards the S., and the Porta Furia on the
N. side (said to be so named after M. Furius Camillus), now built up.
Outside the Porta Romana, at the foot of an eminence near the Villa
Savorelli, is situated an Amphitheatre, hewn in the rock (axes 55 and
44 yds. respectively ; key at the Municipio). The rocks above contain
numerous tomb-chambers, one of which is now a church. — From Sutri
to Trevignano, see p. 117; to Nepi, see p. 108.
The little hill-town of Capraróla (1574 ft. ; Alb. del Cimino), with
5591 inhab., is reached by footpaths in about 1 hr. from Ronciglione.
Carriages follow the Viterbo road for about 3 M. and then diverge to
the right for IV4 M. more (diligence twice daily in 1 hr., fare 50 e).
The lofty ^Palazzo Farnese at Capraróla, built about 1547-59 by Vignola
for Cardinal Alexander Farnese, nephew of Paul III., is one of the most
magnificent chàteaux of the Renaissance. It is now in the possession
of Count Caserta, of the house of Bourbon-Sicily. The ground-plan is
pentagonal, with a centrai rotunda; the round centrai court, with its
arcades, is adjoined by five wings of equal size. The chief facade looks
towards the town (S.E.). The interior (tickets of admission obtained gratis
at the Amministrazione Farnesiana in the Palazzo Farnese, at Rome, p. 263)
is adorned with frescoes of scenes from the history of the Farnese family,
allegories, etc, by Federigo, Giovanni, and Taddeo Zucchero; the stair-
case by Antonio Tempesta. The fine view extends across the hilly
country, with Sutri, Nepi, and Civita Castellana, to Mt. Soracte; in
the distance rise the dome of St. Peter's and the Volscian hills, to the E.
the Apennines, and to the S.E. the Abruzzi. The beautiful gardens and
the charming Palazzina are also by Vignola.
17x/2 M. Bassano di Sutri (1215 ft.), the next station, is pre-
ceded and followed by a viaduct. The line enters the volcanic
district of the Lake of Bracciano. — 20x/2 M. Oriolo Romano
(1339 ft.), with an old park of the Altieri family. — The line now
descends, passes through a tunnel, and crosses several viaduets.