114 Route 12. TOSCANELLA. From Attigliano
Corso Vittorio Emanuele (PI. B, C, 2, 3), which is joined on the
N.W. by the Via Principessa Margherita.
In the Piazza della Rocca (PI. B, 2) stands a fountain of 1566,
ascribed to Vignola, adjacent to which is the Gothic church of
San Francesco. Ih the left transept of the latter is the tomb of
Pope Clement IV. (d. 1268), to the right, and in the right transept
that of Hadrian V. (d. 1276), to the left; to the left of the high-
altar is the tomb of Fra Marco da Viterbo (d. 1369), and in the
left transept that of Cardinal Gerardo Landriani (1445). — Inside
the Porta Fiorentina (1768), to the left, stands the castle of the
popes (Rocca), begun in 1457 and now used as barracks. Outside
the gate lies the Giardino Pubblico (PI. A, B, 1, 2).
Excursions. About 1V4 M. to the N.E. of the Porta Fiorentina (comp.
PI. C, 1 ; diligence in 35 min. ; one-horse cab 1-2 pers. there and back
1 fr.) is the pilgrimage-church of Santa Maria della Quercia, a fine
Renaissance edifice of 1470-1525. The reliefs in the lunettes of the entrance
are by Andrea della Robbia (1508); the wooden ceiling is by Ant. da
Sangallo the Younger (1519-25) ; the ciborium is by Andrea Bregno (1490).
One of the two courts of the adjoining Dominican monastery has a
Renaissance loggia supported on Gothic f oundations ; both courts have
pretty fountains (of 1508 and 1633). — About l1/* M. farther on is the small
town of Bagnaia (diligence in 1 hr. ; cab there and back, incl. stay at
La Quercia, 3 fr.). The Via di Mezzo leads to the right from the principal
piazza to the charming Villa Lante, which was begun in 1477, enlarged in
1564, and completed in 1588 ; it is the summer-residence of the ducal family
of that name (visitors admitted ; fee 1/2 fr0- The elegant casino by Vignola,
the fountains, and the fine live oaks are the chief points of interest.
About 5V2 M. to the N. of Viterbo (comp. PI. C, 1), and 1 M. to the
E. of the road to Civitella d'Agliano, are the ruins of Férento, the
Etruscan Ferentum, birthplace of the Emperor Otho. In 1172 it was
destroyed by the inhabitants of Viterbo on account of its heretical
tendencies, for the Ferentines represented the Saviour on the cross with
open eyes, instead of closed, as was thought more orthodox. Among the
extensive mediseval, Roman, and Etruscan remains, where recent exca¬
vations (1902) have been richly rewarded, a Theatre of peculiar and
primitive construction, with later additions, deserves notice. — The return
to Viterbo through the romantic valley of the Acqua Rossa is recommended.
About 2 M. to the W. of Viterbo (one-horse cab 2 fr.) is II Bulicame,
a warm sulphurous spring (145° Fahr.), mentioned by Dante (Inf. xiv. 79)
and stili used for baths. It is a small pool lying in a hollow of a
travertine hill, and is in a Constant state of effervescence owing to the
action of the gas escaping to the surf ace ; like many other springs in this
region it is of volcanic origin. The Stabilimento Bagni lies 1 M. to the
S.W. The attractive road thither (3/4 hr.) leads straight on from the
Porta Faul (PI. A, 4) and commands a fine view of Viterbo. The route
to the left from the Porta Faul across the small bridge leads direct to
Castel d'Asso (see below).
Castel d'Asso lies 5 M. to the W. of Viterbo (cab there and back
in 3 hrs.). About 1/3 M. to the W. of the Bulicame we turn to the left,
traverse two ravines, turn again (IV2 M. to the S.) to the right, and in
2 M. more reach the valley, which contains about thirty Etruscan Tombs,
hewn in the rock. On the opposite hill are the picturesque ruins of a
mediseval castle and the scanty remains of an ancient village, probably
the Castellum Axia of Cicero.
From Viterbo to Tosoanella, 14V2 M., diligence (iy2 fr.) daily in
3 hrs., starting at 9.30 a.m. from the Alb. dell' Angelo. — Toscanella
(544 ft. ; Albergo Braghetti, Piazza dell'Indipendenza), the ancient Tuscana,