12. Route. H3
right contains the tomb of Princess Laetitia Wyse-Bonaparte (1804-71).
At the end of the right aisle is the modern tomb of Pope John XXI. ;
the ancient tomb of 1277 is opposite, in the left aisle, behind the door.
— It was not at the high-altar of this church, but probably at that of
San Silvestro (now the Chiesa del Gesù, PI. B, 4), that in 1271, Guy de
Montfort, son of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, assassinated
Henry, nephew of Henry III. and son of Richard, Earl of Cornwall,
King of the Germans, in order thereby to avenge the death of his father,
who had fallen at the battle of Evesham in 1265 when fighting against
Henry III. Dante mentions this deed and places the assassin in the seventh
region of hell (Inf. xii. 120).
We return to the Piazza della Morte and proceed to the E. into
the highly picturesque San Pellegrino Quarter (PI. B, C, 4), con¬
taining many mediaeval houses (especially in the Piazza San Pel¬
legrino, at the E. end of the Via di San Pellegrino).
More to the S. is the 12th cent, church of Sant' Andrea (PI. B, 5 ;
restored in 1902), with a crypt of the same period. Near it, in the Via
di Piano Scarano, is an attractive 14th cent, fountain.
To the N.E. of San Pellegrino lies the Piazza Fontana Grande
(PI. C, 4), in which rises the largest fountain in the town, in the
Gothic style, completed in 1279, and restored in 1424. This square
is connected with the Piazza del Plebiscito (p. Ili) by the Via Ca¬
vour, and with the Porta Romana (PI. C, 4; 1653; see below) by
the Via Garibaldi. At the Porta Romana is the church of San
Sisto, founded in the 9th cent., the apse of which is built into the
town-wall; in the sacristy is a Madonna and saints by a Sienese
painter (15th cent.; covered, fee 20 e).
Outside the Porta della Verità (PI. C, 3) lies the former church
of Santa Maria della Verità, now used as a public hall (key
in the Scuola Tecnica ; fine Gothic monastery-court). The Cappella
Mazzatosta, to the right, is adorned with *Frescoes by Lorenzo
da Viterbo (1469), representing the Marriage of the Virgin, the
Annunciation, the Nativity, the Ascension, saints, and prophets,
with numerous portraits. The majolica floor-tiles date from the
15th century. — In the Strada di Circonvallazione, 200 paces to
the N. of the Porta della Verità, to the left, beside the town-wall,
are some scanty remains of a palace begun by Frederick IL in 1242
and destroyed in 1250.
Re-entering the Porta della Verità, we follow the Vicolo della
Porta to the right to the little Romanesque church of San Gio¬
vanni in Zoccoli (PI. C, 3; llth cent.; restored in 1881). Thence
the Via Mazzini and the Vicolo della Ficunaccia, ascending to the
right, bring us to the church of Santa Uosa (PI. C, 2), a railed side-
chapel (right ; ring for admission) in which contains the blackened
mummy of that saint (d. 1261), who urged the people to rise against
the Emp. Frederick IL Annually since 1664, on the ève of 3rd
Sept., the image of the saint has been carried from the Porta Ro¬
mana (see above) to the church of St. Rosa on a triumphal tower
(Macchina di Santa Rosa) 60 ft. in height. — We now descend to the
Baedeker. Ce™+™' T+»1- 1C'