to Rome. CIVITA CASTELLANA. "• Route. 107
the ravino of Vasciano. We reach the above-mentioned road about 2*/2 M.
from Narni; it enters the town below the castle.
The station of Civita Castellana lies h\j2 M. from the town
(carriages at the station; omnibus in iy2 hr., fare 1 fr-)- The road
ascends over tufa rocks and crosses a lava-stream which once flowed
from the Lago di Vico (p. 115). A bridge, erected by Clement XI.
in 1707 (restored in 1862), carries the road into the town across a
ravine, 130 ft. in depth.
Civita Castellana (475 ft.; Alb. Natalucci, Corso Umberto
Primo 119, good cuisine; Alb. Falisco, Corso Umberto Primo 113,
R. 2 fr.), with 5132 inhab., is picturesquely situated at the W. end
of an isolated tufa plateau, bounded on either side by affluents of
the Treia. On this plateau once stood Falerii, the town of the
Falisci, an important centre of S. Etruria, which was captured by
Camillus in 396 B.C. and destroyed by the Romans in 241 B.C.
The inhabitants were removed to the Roman Falerium Novum (see
below), a much less strong fortifìcation, but they returned in the
8th or 9th century to the site of the originai town. The Cathedral
of Santa Maria possesses a handsome portico erected (accordin
to the inscription) in 1210 by Laurentius Romanus, his son
Jacobus, and his grandson Cosmus; the bust in mosaic of Christ
over the door to the right is by Jacobus ; the interior was modernized
in 1736-40. A flight of steps descends on the left of the high-altar
to a crypt supported by columns (some of them ancient), containing
two Renaissance altars presented by Rodrigo Borgia; the choir-
screens, with elaborate cosmatesque ornamentation, are now built
into the wall in an adjoining chamber. — The Citadel, erected by
Pope Alexander VI. in 1494-1500 from a design by Ant. da San¬
gallo the Elder, was enlarged by Julius IL and Leo X. ; in the court
is a marble relief of Christ, which, according to tradition, is a
likeness of Csesar Borgia. In the deep ravines by which the town
is enclosed and at other points in the vicinity a few fragments
of ancient walls and numerous Etruscan tombs hewn in the rock
are preserved. — Near the Ponte di Celle, to the N.E. of the town,
are the remains of an Etruscan Tempie of Juno Curitis, in three
parts, discovered in 1887; while others were unearthed in 1888
at the highest point of the old town district, in the Contrada Lo
Scasato, to the E., and in 1902 in the valley of the Fosso Maggiore,
to the N.W. ; the last-mentioned perhaps belonged to a Tempie of
Mercury. For the articles found here, see p. 225.
An electric tramway runs from Civita Castellana to (33V2 M.) Rome
(see p. 430). The station of Sant' Oreste (iy2 M- in 50 min. ; fare 1 fr. 10
or 70 e.) is the best starting-point for the Ascent of Mount Soracte
From the tramway-station a road leads to (2 M.) the humble village of
Sant' Oreste (1358 ft. ; Ristorante Gius. Capelli, with rooms, clean; one
horse carriage from Civita Castellana, 6-8 fr., in about 2 hrs. ; diligence
in 3 hrs., 1 fr.; on foot 3V2 hrs-)-