106 Route il. ORTE. From Florence
to the N.W. of the lake (near Latera), a monument (restored) commemor-
ates Donough O'Brien (d. 1064), king of Cashel and Thomond in Ireland,
who surrendered his sceptre to the pope (see p. 339).
From Bolsena the road leads towards the S., at first on the bank of
the lake, then partly by a steep ascent, to (8 M. ; 3*/4 hrs. going, 23/4 hrs.
returning) Montefiascone (p. 110 ; diligence in 2% hrs., fare2 fr. ; carr. 5 fr.).
The Railway from Orvieto to Orte and Rome reaches the
wooded valley of the Tiber, the broad, stony bed of which bears
traces of numerous inundations, and forms at this point the demarc-
ation between the volcanic districts of Etruria and the Apennines.
Two tunnels. On the hill to the left lies Baschi. — 12572 M.
Castiglione in Teverina. The train crosses the river and remains
on the left bank. — 130x/2 M. Alviano.
136 M. Attigliano (Buffet), the junction for Viterbo, p. 97.
139 M. Bassano m!TeumMa,onahiil(1000ft.)tothe right (2 M.)
The small marshy Lake of Bassano, formerly Lacus Vadimonis, is
famous in ancient history as the scene of the great victories of the Romans
over the Etruscans, 309 and 283 B.C. Pliny the Younger (Ep. viii. 20) has
described the lake with its 'floating islands'. — About 3 M. farther to the
N.W. (11 M. by road from Orte rail. stat.) is Bomarzo (863 ft.), the
ancient Polimartium, picturesquely situated on a precipitous rock, where
numerous tombs of the Etruscan and Roman period have been found.
The train passes through two tunnels, and reaches —
144 M. Orte (Rail. Restaurant, good), where the railway from
Foligno (Perugia and Ancona; R. 10) unites with the main line.
The high-lying little town (440 ft.), 21/2 M. to the N., is the ancient
Horta, but presents no object of interest beyond its situation.
The train descends the valley of thè Tiber on the right bank.
The lofty and indented ridge of Mount Soracte (p. 108) becomes
visible, at first to the left, then to the right. To the left, on the
other side of the river, lie San Vito and Otricoli, the latter a
small place 6 M. distant from Orte, near the site of the ancient
Ocriculum, where numerous antiquities (p. 396, etc.) have been
excavated. — 149^ M. Gallese. Farther on, high above the left
bank, is the small town of Magliano Sabino (see below).
152 M. Stat. Civita Castellana-Magliano, situated near Bor¬
ghetto, a small place dominated by a ruined castle. To the left is
the Ponte Felice (see below).
The following is an attractive day's excursion. From the station
(diligence and carr. to Calvi in 3 hrs.), we proceed to the N.E. by the
Otricoli (see above) and Narni (p. 96) road. This crosses the Tiber by
the handsome Ponte Felice, formerly of great importance for the trafile
between Rome and the N.E. provinces ; it was built by Augustus for the
Via Flaminia (p. 131) and reconstructed by Sixtus V. in 1589. After 2 M.
a road, diverging to the right, leads to (3 M.) Magliano Sabino (728 it.)
and (10 M.) Calvi (1315 ft.). From Calvi we ascend to the N.E. (with guide)
to (2 hrs.) the top of Monte San Pancrazio (3370 ft. ; chapel), a fine
point of view. Thence we descend via the convent of Lo Speco (rfmts.)
and Stieli to (4i/2 hrs.) Narni (p. 96). The finest point of the descent is