104 Route 11.
of the adjacent well, the Pozzo di San Patrizio, which was begun
by Ant. da Sangallo the Younger in 1527, and completed by Mosca
in 1540. It is partly hewn in the tufa rock, partly built of
masonry, and is 200 ft. deep and 42 ft. wide. The bottom touches
the tertiary mari below the tufa rock. Two separate spirai stair-
cases wind round the shaft ; the water-carrying asses descended by
one and ascended by the other (fee 60 e. ; 248 steps).
The winding road between the town and the (barely 2x/2 M.)
station passes about 200 paces to the right of an extensive Etrus¬
can Necropolis (comp. PI. B, 2). The tombs date chiefly from
the 5th cent B. C, and some of them were found intact. Their
facades, as elsewhere, are constructed of three large stones, two of
which, placed nearly up right, are roof ed by the third. Adjoining
the entrance is inscribed the name of the deceased in the ancient
Etruscan character. The inner chamber is square in form, and
covered with the primitive kind of vaulting in which the stones
(tufa) are laid horizontally, each overlapping the one below it. The
tombs contained many painted vases, of Greek, and particularly of
Corinthian and Attic workmanship, and articles of native manu-
facture, the most important being black terracotta vases with
stamped patterns (now in the Museum, p. 103).
Signor Mancini (Corso Cavour, No. 78) and Count Eug. Faina (opposite
the cathedral) also possess collections of Etruscan antiquities, to which
visitors are politely admitted. An iron gate, with an inscription (near the
Fontana delle Conce, PI. A, 2), leads to the Tombe Mancini (belonging
to Sig. Mancini), one of which retains its originai contents.
About 1V2 M. beyond the Porta Romana (PI. B, 4) is L'Abbadia, the
ruined abbey-church of San Severo, dating from the llth century.
From Orvieto rail. station a motor-omnibus plies once daily via
(17 M.) San Lorenzo Nuovo (see below ; 2 fr. 80 e) and (38V2 M.) Pitigliano
(p. 5 ; 6 fr.) to (73V2 M.) Orbetello (p. 6 ; 12 fr.).
From Orvieto to Bolsena, 12 M. (IS1/^ from the rail. station)
by the highroad. One-horse carr. in 3 hrs., 10-12 fr. (bargain
beforehand). Diligence to Acquapendente, see below. — Quitting
Orvieto by the Porta Romana (PI. B, 4), the road at first descends
into the valley, but soon re-ascends with many windings (fine retro-
spect of the town) through a well-cultivated district and up the
tame declivity of an extinct volcano (see below).
A carriage-road diverges to the N.W. about 4i/2 M. short of Bolsena,
at the Poggio di Biado (1936 ft.), and runs via Castel Giorgio (1834 ft.)
and San Lorenzo Nuovo (1657 ft.), where the road to Pitigliano (see above)
branches off, to Acquapendente (1375 ft. ; Alb. Roma, R. 1 fr. ; pop.
4779), a former frontier-town of the States of the Church, lying high
above the Paglia (p. 100), on the road from Rome to Florence (see p. 99).
Diligence from Orvieto (21i/2 M.) once daily in 5 hrs., 4V2 fr. ; carr. 10-
15 fr. — About 3 M. to the N.W. lies Proceno (1286 ft.), a picturesque
place with a ruinous Renaissance palace of the Sforzas (ca. 1535).
Finally we descend abruptly by the margin of the so-called
crater to —