100 Route li.
donna with SS. Peter, Paul, Gervasius, and Protasius (1513). The
picture of St. Anthony with St. Paulus Eremita and St. Marcellus
in San Pietro, belonged originally to the church of Sant' Antonio.
Ali these pictures are by Perugino. — Outside the S. gate is the
church of Santa Maria dei Servi, containing remains of a Cruci¬
fixion by Perugino, dating from 1517. — A road affording fine
views leads towards the N.E. to Perugia (p. 67; ca. 31 M.).
104V2 M. Fienile; the village (1433 ft.) lies 3 M. to the S.E.
— 112 M. Allerona. — Near Orvieto the Chiana falls into the
Paglia, a turbulent tributary of the Tiber, which does much damage
after heavy rain. The stratification of the rock from Chiusi to this
point dates from the tertiary period, and shows clay, mari, and
sandstone, while at Orvieto the volcanic district begins, of which
the centrai point is the lake of Bolsena (p. 105).
118 M. Stat. Orvieto (407 ft. ; Rail. Restaurant), at the base of
the hill occupied by the town.
Orvieto. — Arrivai. Between the station and the town runs a
cable-tramway (Funicolare, PI. E, F, 1, 2 ; 5 min. ; 30 e), 612 yds. in length,
ascending a gradient of 27 : 100, and passing through a tunnel 131 yds.
long under the Fortezza. Hotel-omnibuses (lj2 fr.) wait at the upper end
of the cable-tramway. — By road the distance is nearly 2*/2 M. (see p. 104).
Hotels (comp. p. xviii). *Grand Hotel Belle Arti (PI. a; C, 3),
in the Palazzo Bisenzi, Corso Cavour 43, 40 R. at 2i/2-5, B. 1V2, déj. 3,
D. 5 fr., both incl. wine, pens. 7-12 fr. ; *Palace Hotel (PI. b; B, 3),
Via Garibaldi, 30 R. at 3-6, B. 1V4, déj. 3V2, D. 5 (both incl. wine), pens.
8-12, omn. 1 fr. — Italia (PI. e ; B, 3), Via del Popolo 5, Cornelio
(PI. d; C, 3), Piazza Ippolito Scalzo 1, at both R. IV2-2 fr. ; Albergo-
Ristorante del Duomo (PI. e; C, 3), Via del Duomo, R. 11/2 fr., well
spoken of. — Café in the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, clean.
The Wine of Orvieto is celebrated. — Photographs sold by Armoni, near
the Cathedral. — About 4-5 hrs. are sufficient for a hasty visit to the town.
Orvieto (1066 ft.; 8220 inhab.), a small town and episcopal re¬
sidence, on an isolated tufa rock (the perpendicular sides of which
are partly of artifìcial creation), occupies what was probably the site
of Volsinii, one of the twelve capitals of theJEtruscan League. Vol-
sinii, after various vicissitudes, was taken and destroyed in 280 B.C.
by the Romans, who are said to have carried off 2000 statues. The
wealth of the ancient town has been proved by the discovery of
numerous vases, trinkets, and statues. A new town, the Urbibentum
of Procopius, arose on the site, and was called Urbs Vetus at a
very early period, whence is derived its modern name. In the
middle ages it was a great stronghold of the Guelphs, and often
afforded refuge to the popes.
From the piazza to the W. of the old fortress, where the term-
inus of the cable-tramway is situated (PI. E, 2), runs the Corso
Cavour, the principal Street of Orvieto. Two mediaeval towers
rise in this street; opposite the first (Torre del Moro, PI. C, 3) is
the Via del Duomo, leading to the