96 Route 10.
follows the bank of the lake (rowing-boat in 1/2 hr., */2-l fr.) to the
(40 min.) village of Piediluco (1227 ft.; tolerable inn, where fish may
be had), with its ruined castle (Rocca; 1777 ft.).
The Railway to Orte intersects the rich valley of the Nera.
To the right on the hill lies Cesi (1433 ft.), 5 M. to the N.W. of
Terni, to the N. of the road to San G-emini and Todi (p. 78), with
remains of ancient polygonal walls and subterranean grottoes. To
the left, Collescipoli (781 ft.).
66y2 M. Marni (787 ft.; Alb. dell' Angelo, with view from the
back-windows, R. with electric light l1/2 fr., very fair), a small town
with 5200 inhab., is the ancient Umbrian Nequinum, the Roman
Narnia, birthplace of the Emperor Nerva, of Pope John XIII.
(965-72), and of Erasmus of Narni, surnamed Grattamelata, the well-
known 'condottiere' (d. 1443). It is picturesquely situated, 1/2 hr.
from the station, on a lofty rock on the left bank of the Nera, at
the point where the river forces its way through a narrow ravine
to the Tiber (omnibus up 75, down 50 e). The old castle (Rocca;
1089 ft.) is now a prison. — The Cathedral, erected in the llth
cent., with a vestibule of 1497, and dedicateci to St. Juvenalis, the
first bishop (369), contains a Renaissance altar-recess, dating from
the end of the 15th cent. (2nd chapel on the right), a wooden statue
of St. Anthony by Vecchietta (1475 ; same chapel), and the tomb-
stone of Bishop Gormas (1515; 3rd chapel on the left). The Town
Hall, on the facade of which are 14th cent, sculptures, contains a
Coronation of Mary by Dom. Ghirlandaio (1486), spoiled by re-
touching. The garden of the church of San Bernardo (wooden
statue of the saint in the interior, by Vecchietta) affords a good
view of the valley of the Nera.
From Narni to Perugia via Todi, see p. 78.
From Narni a road leads to the N.W. (diligence in 2 hrs., fare lllzfi.)
to the (6 M.) venerable Umbrian mountain-town of Amelia, Lat. Ameria
(1332 ft. ; inn outside the gate), mentioned by Cicero in hisorationProRoscio
Amerino, with admirably preserved Cyclopean walls and other antiquities.
The train turns towards the narrowing valley of the Nera, and
passes dose to the so-called Bridge of Augustus (on the left),
which spanned the river immediately below Narni in three huge
arches, and belonged to the Via Flaminia (p. 131), leading to Be¬
vagna (p. 86). The arch next to the left bank, 62 ft. in height,
stili stands, but of the two others only the piers remain. — The
train continues to follow the valley of the Nera, with its beautiful
forests of evergreen oaks. — Beyond (71 M.) Nera Montoro we
pass through two tunnels, and then (near the influx of the Nera) cross
the Tiber, which in 1860-70 formed the boundary between the
Kingdom of Italy and the Papal States. — Near —
77 M. Orte (Rail. Restaurant, good) we reach the main line
from Chiusi to Rome (see p. 106).