94 Route io.
Excursion to the Waterfalls of Terni. Visitors should take
the Electric Tramway to Collestatte. Cars leave the railway-station
and the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele every 10-15 min. for the (H/2 M.)
Acciaieria (see below), whence they run ca. 8 times daily (in 23 min.)
to (5 M.) Collestatte. Passengers alight at (20 min) the station ('fermata') of
Cascate Marmore (4V2 M. ; see below). Fare 30 e. (between 11.30 a.m. and
1.15 p.m. and between 5.45 and 6.30 p.m., 20 e), no return-tickets. —
Carriages (tariff of 1889; 3/4hr., back »/2 hr.), by the lower road, where
the tramways run ('dalla parte di sotto'), with one horse 5, with two
horses 7 fr., by the upper road ('dalla parte di sopra') 7 or 9 fr. ; round
trip ('giro'), by the lower road and back by the upper via Papigno (comp.
below) about 12 fr. (fee x/2-l fr.) ; bargaining advisable, and less than
tariff-rates sometimes accepted. — By Railway (to Sulmona, see Baedeker's
Southern Italy; few trains) to (10 M.) Marmore, V2 M. above the falls
(see below), in 35-50 (back in 30) min. ; fares 1 fr. 90, 1 fr. 30, 85 e.
The traveller should be abundantly provided with copper coins. At
the different points of view contributions are levied by the custodians
(15-20 e.) ; flowers and fossils from the Velino are offered for sale (also
not more than 15-20 e).
The Electric Tramway (see above) runs to the S. from the
railway-station to the Piazza Cornelio Tacito, then turns to the E.,
and, after crossing the bed of the brook Serra, follows the straight
road across the plain (on the right is a government manufactory of
small arms). — ll/2 M. Acciaieria, with an armour-plate factory.
— 2*/4 M. Cervara. The valley of the Nera contraets. On each
side tower lofty rocky hills, with slopes clad in luxuriant vege-
tation, while in front appear the ruins on the top of Monte Sant'
Angelo (2004 ft.) — 374 M. Papigno Ponte (small restaurant),
picturesquely situated on a solitary rock to the right, on the S.
bank (comp. p. 95). — 31/2 M. Papigno Bivio, with an electric
generating- station (Stabilimento Carburo) on the S. bank, to the
right. — 4Y2 M. Cascate Marmore, where passengers alight (see
below). — 5 M. Collestatte, the terminus (small restaurant), about
iy2 M. below the village of the same name.
The Railway gradually ascends to the S., across the plain of
the Nera, to (51/2 M.) Stroncone (787 ft.); the village (1479 ft.)
lies 2 M. to the S. Thence the line ascends rapidly, threading six
tunnels, after which we catch fine glimpses (left) of the upper valley
of the Nera. — 10 M. Marmore (Rail. Restaurant, very fair).
Leaving the station, we turn first to the right, and 150 paces beyond
the pointsman's hut No. 216, cross the railway. Paying no attention to
the 'Custodi delle Cascate' here lying in wait, we keep to the left for
about 10 paces, then turn to the right through vineyards and past some
cottages. We then pass through the gate on the right (when closed, fee
of 10-15 e), and finally (6 min.) turn to the left for the upper fall (p. 85).
The picturesque Upper Road (carriages, see above) is reached
from the piazza at Terni by passing the Albergo Europa and de-
scending the Strada Garibaldi to the left. We at first follow the
Rieti and Aquila road, which crosses the Nera just outside the gate,
traversing gardens and olive-plantations. After 21/i M. a broad
road to the left descends into the valley of the Nera, while the