IO. Route. 91
(PI. 1, B, 3; key kept by the verger of the cathedral), which has a
subterranean oratory, with frescoes dating from the llth century.
We now return to the Via del Municipio and follow it to the
Piazza Bernardino Campello (PI. C, 4), where a memorial slab
commemorates the capture of the fortress in 1860 (see p. 89).
Passing the fountain, we leave the upper part of the piazza by a
Street to the right, which passes immediately below the lower en¬
trance of the fortress of La Rocca (1486 ft.; see p. 89), now a
prison. A little farther on, near the Porta Rocca (PI. D, 4), we
perceive, to the left, polygonal foundations, being remains of the
Outside the wall is a profound ravine, spanned by the imposing
aqueduct *Ponte delle Torri, built of freestone, which is used
as a viaduct, uniting the town with Monte Luco (see below). It
rests on ten arches, and is 266 ft. in height and 251 yds. in length.
Its construction is attributed to Theodelapius, third duke of Spo¬
leto (604). The groundplan is Roman, while the pointed arches
indicate a restoration in the 14th century. A window midway af-
fords a view. Beyond the bridge we turn to the left, ascend a stony
path to the aqueduct, and follow the direction of the latter. After
10-15 min. a more unbroken prospect is obtained of the fortress,
town, and valley.
Returning to the bridge, we follow the road that passes under
the arch of the aqueduct and runs to the S.W. along the edge of the
gorge. In V4 hr. we reach the church of San Pietro (1273 ft.),
founded in the 5th cent., and restored after its destruction in 1329.
The reliefs on the *Fa$ade are of different dates: those from the
bestiaries (the wolf preaching; the fox feigning death) at the centrai
portai are the oldest, and may date from the ll-12th cent.; those
above (deaths of the righteous and of the sinner) are later. — At
the top of the hill (2060 ft.) is the small basilica of San Giuliano,
where St. Isaac (p. 92) founded a monastery about 500.
A broad Street leads in 1/4 hr. from San Pietro to the Porta
Romana (p. 89). Outside the gate (about 50 paces along the town-
wall to the W., then to the left) lies the church ol San Paolo (1210 ft.;
13th cent.), with a convent now used as a poorhouse; the church
contains some old frescoes. A picturesque walk may be taken to
the right to the Madonna di Loreto, erected in 1572 by Annibale
Lippi, with a later portai, and thence, following the arcades, to the
Porta San Matteo (Pi.'A. 4), whence the Via Loreto Vittori brings
us back to the Via Umberto Primo.
A road issuing from the Porta Leonina, crossing the bridge,
skirting the river to the right for 120 paces, and then ascending to
the left, brings us to the church of *I1 Crocifìsso, formerly San
Salvatore, the facade of which is conspicuous among the arcades
of the Campo Santo. This church, standing on a terrace within