88 Route 10.
(?; to the left), and Madonna with SS. Francis and Anthony, of the
School of Foligno (to the right). — The church of Santa Maria delle
Lagrime, 3/4 M. from the Porta del Cieco (see p. 87), was built in 1487
by Antonio Marchissi of Florence and possesses a fine portai by Gio¬
vanni di Gian Pietro of Venice, added, in 1511. In the lst chapel to
the left is a Resurrection, by an Umbrian Painter; in the transept, to
the left, Entombment, by Lo Spagna (1520); 2nd chapel to the right,
Adoration of the Magi, by Perugino; lst chapel to the right, Annunci¬
ation, Umbrian Shool.
The village of Le Vene, the old posting-station of Sacrarla, is
next passed. Just before reaching it, to the left, we obtain a glimpse
of a so-called Tempie, sometimes regarded as that of Clitumnus
mentioned by Pliny (Epist. 8, 8). The elegant little building,
however, now known as the church of San Salvatore, was con-
structed of the materials of ancient tombs not earlier than the
4th cent., as the Christian emblems (the vine and the cross), the
twisted marble columns on the facade, and various inscriptions in
the crypt and on the foundations testify. Near Le Vene the clear
Sourceofthe Clitumnus, beautifully described by Pliny, wells
forth from the limestone-rock, dose to the road (comp. Byron,
Childe Harold, iv, 66 seq.). From Le Vene to Trevi 172 hr«> to
Spoleto 2 hrs. — 34 M. Campetto sul Clitunno, a village on the
height to the left. About 2 M. to the S., on the road, is the village
of San Giacomo, with a church, the choir of which is adorned
with interesting frescoes by Lo Spagna (Coronation of the Virgin,
Legend of St. James of Compostela; 1526). Beautiful road through
richly cultivated land.
4072 ^f- Spoleto. — The town is Va M. distant; one-horse carr.
1 fr. — Hotels. Hotel Ldoini (PI. a; B, 3), Via Felice Cavallotti and
Piazza San Filippo, an old palazzo, in the upper town, with restaurant and
electric light, 30 R. at 2-21/2, pens. from 6 fr. ; Albergo e Ristorante
Cambioli, Corso Vittorio Emanuele, R. IV2 fr. ; Posta, Piazza Garibaldi,
in the lower town, near the Porta Leonina (PI. B, C, 1), R. IV2 fr. ;
Albergo & Ristorante della Ferrovia, to the right of the gate. —
Cafés. Clari, Pennacchietti, Centrale, ali in the Corso Vitt. Emanuele.
— Baths, Piazza San Luca. — Post & Telegraph Office, Piazza Collicola.
Spoleto (1000-1485 ft.), the ancient Spoletium, an industriai
town with 9631 inhab., is prettily situated at the S. end of the
valley mentioned at p. 79. Very early the seat of a bishop, it is
now an archiepiscopal see. Truffl.es are found in great abundance
in the surrounding woods and are used in the preparation of pre¬
served f óods. Mining is also carried on in the coal-measures (Miniere
di Lignite) to the N.W. of the town. Its interesting works of art,
its picturesque situation, and its cool and refreshing climate combine
to make Spoleto an attractive place to visit.
In 241 B.C. a Roman colony was established in the ancient Umbrian
rown, and in 217 it vigorously repelled the attack of Hannibal, as Livy
telates (22, 9). It subsequently became a Roman municipium, suffered
severely during the civil wars of Sulla and Marius, and again at the hands
of Totila and his Goths, after the fall of the W. Empire, though Theo-
doric the Great favoured it. The Longobards founded a powerful duchy