86 Route 10. FOLIGNO. Front Perugia
The Via Cavour leads to the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, in
which rises one of the fagades (1201) of the Cattedrale San
Feliziano; the Romanesque S. facade dates from 1133. The church
was modernized in the 16th and 17th centuries and restored in
1903. To the left of the choir is an octagonal chapel, by Antonio
da Sangallo the Younger (1527) ; some of the columns in the crypt
date from the 9th century. — Opposite the side-portal is the
Palazzo Or fini, with a Renaissance fagade, unfortunately much
injured. A little to the N. is the pretty Oratorio della Nunziatella
(15th cent.) with a fresco by Perugino (Baptism of Christ; fee 20 e).
On the S. side of the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele is the Palazzo del
Municipio, which contains a few Roman sculptures (relief represent¬
ing circus-games) and some paintings by Umbrian masters: Pier
Antonio Mezzastris of Foligno, 1. Madonna and angels, 3. Ma¬
donna with SS. John and Dominio, 4. Crucifixion, 5. Madonna with
SS. Francis and John; 57. Dono dei Doni, St. Catharine.
On the E. side of the piazza rises the Palazzo del Governo,
the seat of the Trinci in 1398-1439. The chapel on the upper floor
(custode in the Municipio) contains frescoes by Ottaviano Nelli
(1424): History of the Virgin, St. Joachim and St. Anna. In the
vestibule, History of Romulus and Remus (damaged).
The Via Principe Amedeo, No. 6 in which, on the right, is the
handsome Palazzo Deli (1510), leads to the Piazza Giordano Bruno.
The old church of Santa Maria infra Portas, in this piazza, with
a porch of the 8th cent., contains faded frescoes by Niccolò da Fo¬
ligno and other Umbrian masters, and also some early Byzantine
frescoes recently discovered. — The Gothic church of San Dome¬
nico, opposite, is now a gymnasium (Palestra Ginnastica).
The Scuola d'Arti e Mestieri, in the Street òf that name diverg-
ing from the Via Principe Amedeo, contains casts of monuments
of Umbrian art, including the 'Tempie of Clitumnus' (p. 88). — In
the Piazza San Niccolò is the church of San Niccolò, the second
chapel to the right in which contains a large altar-piece (Nativity,
with twelve saints at the sides and the Resurrection above) by
Niccolò da Foligno (1492); the chapel to the right of the high-
altar is adorned with a Coronation of the Virgin, by the same master.
About 1 M. to the E. of Foligno lies the church of San Bartolomeo,
with a Martyrdom of St. Bartholomew by Niccolò da Foligno. About
2/3 M. farther to the N.E. lies the village of Uppello, whence a bridle-
path (li/4 M.) leads to the E. to the old Abbadia di Sassovivo (1739 ft.),
situated on the slope of the Monte Serrone (3376 ft.). The key must be
brought from Foligno. The cloisters, built in 1229, resemble those of
San Paolo Fuori at Rome (p. 447), though they are less ornate.
About 5 M. to the W. of Foligno (diligence twice daily in IV2 hr.,
fare V2 fr.), is Bevagna (738 ft. ; two poor Locande), with 3584 inhab.,
on the Clitumnus, the ancient Mevania of the Umbri. It possesses the
remains of an amphitheatre and other antiquities. The little churches
of San Silvestro and San Michele (in the picturesque Piazza), dating
from the 12th cent., have facades by Binellus (1195) and Rodulfus (12019