to Orte. JFDEI&NÓ.' 10. Route. 85
town is approached are the ruins of an Amphitheatre of the imperiai
period (not visible from the railway).
211/, M. Spello (1030 ft. ; Alb. Brozzi, R. 1 fr.), a small town
òf 5155 inhab., picturesquely situated on a mountain-slope, is the
ancient Colonia Iulia Hispellum. The gate (Porta Consolare) near
the station, with three portrait-statues, as well as the Porta Urbana,
the Porta Veneris, and parts of the walls, are ancient.
The * Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore, built in the
16th cent, (facade begun in 1644), contains good paintings.
The holy-water basin to the right of the entrance is formed of an
ancient cippus. To the left the Cappella Baglioni, with frescoes by
Pinturicchio (1501): on the left, the Annunciation (with the name and
portrait of the painter) ; opposite to us the Adoration of the Holy Child ;
to the right, Christ in the Tempie ; on the ceiling, four Sibyls. The pulpit
is by Simone da Campione (1545). — The Choir contains a magnificent
marble canopy in the early-Renaissance style by Rocco da Vicenza (15J.5).
On the left a Pietà, on the right a Madonna by Perugino, 1521. — In
the Cappella del Sacramento is a Madonna by Pinturicchio (covered). —
A building on the right of the church contains a majolica pavement made
at Deruta (1566).
Sant' Andrea contains (3rd aitar to the right) an altar-piece,
Madonna and saints, by Pinturicchio and Eusebio di San Giorgio
(1508), with a letter from G. Baglione to Pinturicchio painted upon it.
Among other antiquities the 'House of Propertius' is shown,
although it is certain that the poet was not born here (p. 80). In
the Palazzo Comunale are Roman inscriptions. San Girolamo,
outside the town, contains an interesting tempera painting of the
Marriage of the Virgin by an unknown master. The upper part of
the town commands an extensive view of the plain, with Foligno
and Assisi. Traces of the earthquake of 1832 are stili observed.
The train crosses the Topino and reaches —
25 M. Foligno, the junction of the Ancona line (R. 15).
Buffet (déj. incl. wine 2^ fr.) at the station. — 'Posto' (seat in a
carriage) to the town (V< M.) 40 e, including luggage.
*Hótel de la Poste, by the gate, in the Via Cavour, the main Street,
39 R. at 2x/2-5, pens. 8-12 fr., with electric light, good restaurant, and café.
— Alb. & Trattoria del Teatro, R. l1^, pens. 5 fr., clean; Alb. Umbria.
— Post & Telegraph Office, Via Umberto Primo. — Motor Garage in the
Palazzo Orsini, Piazza Umberto Primo.
Foligno (771 ft.), a town with 9532 inhab., various industries,
and an episcopal residence, lies in a fertile district, a little to the
"W. of the ancient Fulginium. In 1281 it was destroyed by Perugia,
from 1305 to 1439 it was governed by the celebrated family of the
Trinci, and in 1439 annexed to the States of the Church. The earth¬
quake of 1832 occasioned serious damage.
At the entrance to the town is a marble statue (1872) of the
painter Niccolò di Liberatore, surnamed Alunno, the head of the
school of Foligno (p. 69).