84 Route 10.
From the cathedral an unpaved road descends to the left to the
Gothic church of Santa Chiara (PI. E, 4), erected by FU. de Caeà.
petto in 1257 et seq. The massive buttresses have been restored.
Beneath the high-altar are the remains of St. Clara, who, inspirth
with enthusiasm for St. Francis, abandoned her parents and wealpt
and founded the order of Clarissines (see below). A handsome crypt
of differently-coloured marbles has been constructed round her tomb
since 1850. On the arch above the high-altar are frescoes by
Giottino (?) ; and in the Cappella di Sant' Agnese (right transept)
are damaged frescoes in the style of Giotto.
The Giardino Pubblico (PI. F, 4), laid out in 1883 to the S.E.
of the Piazza del Duomo, between the Porta Nuova and the Porta
Cappuccini, contains some fine oaks and commands a good view of
the town and its fertile valley. A little farther on, by the Piazza
Nuova, are the ruins of a Roman Amphitheatre (PI. F, 3). — About
y2 M. outside the Porta Nuova (PI. F, 4) is the Convent of San
Damiano (1000 ft.), erected by St. Francis, the first abbess of which
was St. Clara (see above). The cloisters contains frescoes by Eusebio
di San Giorgio (1507) representing the Annunciation and St. Francis
receiving the stigmata. In the church, to the left above the aitar,
are some relics of St. Clara.
The only remaining object of interest is the Romanesque church
of San Pietro (PI. C, 3), with a facade of 1268 and aisles with
An extensive view of the town and environs is obtained from
the Castello or Rocca Maggiore (1655 ft.; PI. D, E, 2), above the
town, reached from the piazza in about 1/2 hr. The custodian is to
be found in the piazza.
The Camposanto (cemetery ; PI. D, 1) affords a good view of the
valley of the shallow Tescio. — A beautiful and interesting walk (l1/* hr.)
may be enjoyed by descending from the Porta San Giacomo (PI. C, 2) by
the Via di Fontanella to (20 min.) the Ponte Santa Croce (whence the Col
Caprile, 1938 ft., may be ascended in 1 hr.). We then retrace our steps
for 250 paces, take the footpath diverging to the right, and cross a second
bridge over the Tescio, whose right bank we follow to the (20 min.)
Ponte San Vittorino (PI. A, 1). Thence we return to the Porta San
Francesco (PI. B, 2 3).
In a ravine of the Monte Subasio, to the E. of Assisi, is situated
the hermitage delle Carceri (2300 ft.), to which St. Francis retired for
devotional exercises. Near the chapel are a few apartments built in the
14thcent., and the rock-bed of the saint. It is reached on foot from the
Porta Cappuccini (PI. F, 4) in 1V2, with donkey in 1 hr. — Monte Subasio
(4230 ft.) may be ascended in 3 hrs. from the Carceri. The summit com¬
mands a wide view, with the Monti Sibillini to the S.E. and the Monte
Amiata to the S.W The return to Assisi (3 hrs.) may be made, if desired,
to the S., past the remains of the Romanesque abbey-church of San
Benedetto (2560 ft.), dating from the llth century.
A drive to Spello (p. 85), Foligno (p. 85), Montefalco (p. 87), and
Bevagna (p. 86) and back to Assisi occupies an entire day (carr. ca. 30 fr.).
The carriage-road from Assisi to Spello is very attractive (one-
horse carr. 4-5 fr. ; on foot 2 hrs.). To the right of the road as the