io. Route. 81
pope. — Comp. Paul Sabatier's Life of St. Francis of Assisi. Good
photographs of Giotto's frescoes, by G. Carloforti, may be obtained in
Rome, at Via Principe Amadeo 3.
Having reached the town, we proceed to the left to the conspicu-
ous old *Monastery of the Franciscans (San Francesco;
PI. B, 2), a castellated edifice on the brow of the hill, which was
begun in 1228 upon massive substructures. The large courtyard
and the substructures were restored in 1475-85. It was suppressed
in 1866, but a few monks have been allowed to remain here till
their death. Part of the building has been converted by government
into a school for the sons of teachers. Visitors are admitted (8-11
and 2-5) by the gate to the left of the entrance to the lower church
and are conducted by an officiai (50 e). It contains several frescoes
of the 16th and 17th cent, and (on the outer wall) a statue of Sixtus IV.
From the external passage a magnificent view is enjoyed.
The two *Churches, erected one above the other, are objects
of great interest. The Crypt, with the tomb of the saint, was
added in 1818, when the rude stone sarcophagus containing his re¬
mains was re-discovered.
The Lower Chtjhch is stili in use and is always accessible; en¬
trance by a side-door on the terrace (best light about noon). It was
begun in 1228, continued after 1232 by Filippo de Campetto, and
completed in 1253. Originally the church consisted of a nave of
four bays with groined vaulting supported by wide circular arches,
a W. transept, and a semicircular apse. About 1300 the Gothic
chapels and the first bay of the E. transept were added, while the S.
portai dates from about the same period, though the vestibule in
front of it, with its rich Renaissance decoration, was not erected
To the right of the entrance is a tomb of the 14th cent., with an urn
of porphyry, beside which is the magnificent 'Tomb of the Queen of
Cyprus', of the dose of the 13th cent., the recumbent figure on which
probably represents Jean de Brienne, king of Jerusalem and Byzantine
emperor (d. 1237). — The adjoining Cappella di Sant' Antonio Abbate
contains the tombs of a count of Spoleto and his son (14th cent.). —
Opposite the entrance is the Cappella del Crocifisso, with some un-
important frescoes of the 14th cent. ; by the pillar to the left, Consecration
as cardinal of Egidius Albornoz (d. 1367), founder of the chapel, who is
buried here. Fine stained-glass Windows of the 14th century.
The Nave was painted by predecessors of Cimabue. The hexagonal
Cappella di San Martino, the first on the left, is adorned with frescoes
of scenes from the life of the saint, by Simone Martini of Siena. —
Above the pulpit : Coronation of the Virgin, by Giottino. — To the right
of the nave are (1) the Cappella di Santo Stefano, with frescoes from
the life of the saint, by Dono dei Doni (1560) ; (2) the Cappella di Sant'
Antonio da Padova, the frescoes in which have been repainted ; and (3)
the Cappella di Santa Maddalena, adorned with frescoes, representing
scenes from the life of the saint and of Maria iEgyptiaca, by Giotto
The Right (N.) Transept contains on its right wall scenes from the
life of Jesus, by Giotto, assisted by his pupils. Adjacent, Madonna with
Baedeker. C 6