76 Route 9. PERUGIA. San Domenico.
Adjacent is the former convent of San Francesco al Prato
(PI. A, 3), recently restored and now occupied by the Accademia
di Belle Arti. It was for the church of this convent (now much
dilapidated) that Raphael painted the Entombment now at Rome
(p. 222). In the crypt are frescoes of the 13th cent. (Betrothal
and Death of the Virgin).
A few min. outside the Porta Santa Susanna (PI. A, 4), on the right,
are the remains of the Gothic church of Santa Maria Colomata (14th cent.),
with a facade of red and white marble.
To the E. of the Corso Vanucci, and parallel with it, stretches
the Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi (PI. C. D, 4), formerly Piazza del
Sopramuro, resting on extensive substructures, portions of which
belong to the ancient Etruscan town-walls. In the centre is a bronze
Statue of Garibaldi, by Ces. Zocchi. On the E. side of the Piazza
rises the attractive Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, afterwards
the Palazzo del Podestà, dating from 1472; adjoining it is the
Old University, built in 1483; both edifices are now occupied by
courts of justice (Tribunali; PI. D, 4).
The Via Baglioni leads hence towards the S. to the Piazza
Vittorio Emanuele (p. 69). "We descend here immediately to the
left by the Via Marzia (PI. C, 5), passing the substructures of the
old citadel (p. 69), where an Etruscan gate, called Porta Marzia,
with interesting sculptures and the inscriptions Augusta Perusia
and Colonia Vibia, which was removed from its old site to make
way for the citadel, has been re-erected. — We turn to the left. here,
and follow the Viale Carlo Alberto, at the end of which, to the
left, rises the small Gothic church of Sant' Ercolano (PI. D, 5;
1297-1310), with an aitar above an early-Christian sarcophagus.
Following the Corso Cavour (PI. D, E, 5, 6), we reach, to the
left, the church of —
San Domenico (PI. D, E, 6), a Gothic edifice built by Giov.
Pisano (?) after 1304, and almost entirely re-erected by Carlo
Maderna in 1614, with a lofty campanile, part of which has been
In the Left Transept is the Monument to Pope Benedict XI., who
died in 1304 from eating poisoned figs, a fate ascribed to the intrigues
of Philip IV. of France. It is one of the most famous monuments of its
kind, though its ascription to Giovanni Pisano is mistaken; above the
recumbent figure of the pope rises a lofty canopy, borne by spirai
columns and adorned with mosaics (above is a Madonna between St. Dominio
and the kneeling pope on one side and St. Herculanus on the other). On
the adjacent wall is the tomb of Bishop Benedetto Guidalotto (1429).
— The Choir, with a rectangular termination, contains a huge Gothic
window filled with rich stained glass, the largest of its kind in Italy
(218 sq. yds.), executed in 1411 by Fra Bartolomeo of Perugia, and
recently restored. This window belonged to the originai church. — The
inlaid Choir Stalls (tarsia) date from 1476-96. — The fourth chapel
(Cappella del Rosario) in the Right Aisle has a large aitar by Agostino
d'Antonio di Duccio (1459).