San Bernardino. PERUGIA.
9. Route. 75
— RR. VII-IX contain the Guardabassi Collection, consisting chiefly
of interesting objects from Etruscan graves. In the VII. Room, Fine
mirror-case? with a representation of Dionysus on the panther ; opposite,
toilette articles, amber and coral ornaments, etc. In the Vili. Room,
Collection of cut gems. — R. X. Cyprian antiquities. — The next four
rooms contain Medieval and Renaissance Objects. R. XI. Reliquary
containing the remains of the condottiero Braccio Fortebraccio (p. 68),
who fell at the siege of Aquila on 5th June, 1424, a few months after
his rivai, Sforza, had been drowned in the Pescara (formerly in San
Francesco dei Conventuali) ; Coffin of Bishop Baglione, with a sumptuous
velvet covering (15th cent). — R. XII. Ecclesiastical utensils, chalices,
crucifixes, ivory carvings, including a circular piece with chess-men and
a representation of French knights starting for the chase (14th cent.).
Three *Masterpieces of enamel work ('champlcvés') : a goblet which once
belonged to Pope Benedict XI. (d. 1304), and a cup and piate or saucer
executed by Cataluzio di Pietro of Todi (14th cent.) Silver voting-urn
used in municipal elections, with the arms of the guilds (15th cent.). —
R. XIII. Seals ; waffle irons belonging to distinguished f amilies of Perugia ;
majolicas; fine terracotta relief of St. Francis, by Luca della Robbia;
terracotta relief of the Madonna, by Agostino d' Antonio di Duccio.
— R. XIV. Collection of coins. — In the Corridor are some more Etruscan
funeral urns and Roman inscriptions.
The University Church contains mediseval works of art, including
a 9th cent, tabernaculum and an early-Christian sarcophagus (4th cent.),
and plaster casts.
The Corso Garibaldi (PI. B, C, 1 ; p. 65), which begins at the
Piazza Fortebraccio, leads past the piazza in front of the church
of Sant' Agostino, the choir of which contains fine wood-carvings
by Baccio d'Agnolo (1502 and 1532) from designs attributed to
Perugino. To the right is an oratory containing pictures by Alfani,
Scaramucci, etc. About 8 min. farther on, to the right of the Porta
Sant' Angelo (comp. inset map on the Pian), is the interesting church
of Sant' Angelo, a circular structure with 16 antique columns in
the interior, in the style of Santo Stefano Rotondo in Rome (p. 338),
probably dating from the 6th cent., with later additions.
A vaulted passage under the clock of the Palazzo del Municipio,
(p. 70) leads from the Corso Vanucci to the Via de' Priori (PI C, 4),
the best route to the sights of the W. quarter. The Via Deliziosa,
the first turning to the right in the Via della Cupa, which diverges
to the left at the Chiesa Nuova (PI. C, 3, 4), contains the House
of Perugino (PI. B, 4; denoted by a tablet).
We continue to descend the Via de' Priori, passing the medi¬
eval Torre degli Scirri (PI. B, 3) and the Madonna della Luce,
a pleasing little Renaissance church of 1519,, and reach an open
space on the right. Opposite us here rises the —
♦Oratorio di San Bernardino (PI. A, 3). The early-Renais¬
sance facade, executed by Agostino d'Antonio di Duccio, a Fioren¬
tine sculptor, in 1457-61, is a magnificent polychrome work, in
which both coloured marble and terracotta are employed, while the
ground of the numerous and very elaborate sculptures is coloured
also (Saints in Glory, six Franciscan Virtues, and angelic musicians).