Palazzo del Municipio. PERUGIA.
9. Route. 71
portai in the Piazza del Duomo are a griffin, the cognizance of the
town, and a lion in bronze (14th cent.) ; below are chains and bars
of gatés, commemorating the victory gained by the Perugians in
1358 over the Sienese. The chief entrance, in the Corso, is adorned
with sculptures and elaborate ornamentation. On the first floor is
the Sala del Consiglio, with a fine Renaissance door, in a lunette
above which is a Madonna by Fiorenzo di Lorenzo. On the same
floor is the Sala del Capitano del Popolo or dei Notari, an
apartment of noble dimensions, with coats-of-arms of former digni-
taries and podestàs painted òn the walls (14th cent.).
On the third floor is the *Pinacoteca Vanucci, or municipal
picture-gallery, formed since 1863 of works collected from sup-
pressed churches and monasteries, and of great value to the student
of Umbrian art. Adm. 9-3, June-Aug. 10-4, Sun. & holidays 9-1 ;
tickets 1 fr., in the 'Economato' on the first floor (to the left).
Catalogue (1907) y2 fr.
"We pass through the vestibule into the —
Sala dei Cimeli (I ; old paintings) : 6. Margheritone d'Arezzo, Large
Crucifixion (1272); 14. Meo da Siena, Madonna and saints. No. 15., Two
saints, and No. 16., The Apostles, evidently belong to the same work. 22.
Ambrogio Lorenzetti, Madonna and four saints.
Sala LI (formerly the Cappella dei Decemviri, or del Bonflgli), with
frescoes by Benedetto Bonflgli (1454-96). To the right of the Windows
and on the entrance-wall are scenes from the life of St. Louis of Toulouse.
Opposite the Windows are the Burial of St. Louis and the Martyrdom of
St. Herculanus on the occasion of the capture of Perugia by Totila (see
p. 68). On the adjacent wall is the Burial of St. Herculanus. The carved
choir-stalls, set up again in 1907, were begun in 1452 by Gaspare di
Jacopo da Foligno and finished by Paolino d'Ascoli. The glass-cases
contain MSS. and choir-books with miniatures.
Sala III contains frescoes of the 13th and 14th cent, from Sant' Elisa¬
betta (p. 74). — Corridor (IV) : Engravings.
Sala dei Trecentisti (V ; 14th cent.) : Sienese pictures, most of them
valuable. 12. Madonna with SS. Catharine, Agnes, Elizabeth, Herculanus,
Constantius, etc, with smaller scenes above and in the predella. Taddeo
di Bartolo or Bartoli (1403), 18. Descent of the Holy Ghost, 21. St. Francis
with SS. Anthony of Padua, Herculanus, Louis of Toulouse, and Con¬
stantius, 23. Madonna with angels and saints.
Sala dei Quattrocentisti (VI ; 15thcent.): *16. Gentile da Fabriano,
Madonna; Giovanni Boccati da Camerino, 18. Madonna, with angelic
musicians, 19. Madonna enthroned, with singing angels, four church-fathers,
and SS. Dominio and Francis (1447). Tom. d'Arcangelo of Cortona, Ex-
ploits of the condottiere Braccio Fortebraccio (p. 68; frieze).
Sala dei Toscani (VII): *1-18. Fra Angelico da Fiesole, Frag¬
ments of a large altar-piece (Madonna with angels, Annunciation, Saints,
Miracles of St. Nicholas of Bari ; 1437) ; 19. Piero della Francesca, Madonna
and four saints, with the Annunciation above; 20. Benozzo Gozzoli,
Madonna enthroned with saints (1461); 22. Luca Signorelli, Madonna
with angels and saints (1510; studio-piece).
Sala di Benedetto Bonfigli (Vili) : Bonflgli, 1. Adoration of the
Magi, 5. Madonna with angelic musicians, 8. Annunciation, with St. Luke.
Sala di Bartolomeo Caporale (IX): 1. Bonflgli, Church-banner of
San Bernardino of Siena (Christ blessing the saint, and, below, a proces¬
sion in front of the Oratorio di San Bernardino; p. 75; 1465); Bart.
Caporale, 8. Christ with the Madonna in glory (fresco ; 1469), 10. Banner
of the Brotherhood of the Annunziata (1466); 16. Bonflgli, Madonna.