70 Route 9.
PERUGIA. Collegio del Cambio.
is a bronze equestrian Statue of Victor Emanuel IL, by Tadolini
(1890). The garden-terrace in front of the Prefecture affords a
superi) *View of the Umbrian valley with Assisi, Spello, Foligno,
Trevi, and numerous other villages, enclosed by the principal chain
of the Apennines extending from Gubbio onwards; the Tiber and
part of the lower quarters of Perugia are visible also. (A band plays
nere two evenings a week.)
Northwards from the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele runs the Corso
Vanucci to the left, leading to the cathedral-square, and the Via
Baglioni to the right, leading to the Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi.
(p. 76), at the corner of which is the Palace Hotel, with the Post
and Telegraph Office. We follow the Cosso Vanucci (PI. C, 5, 4),
the chief Street in the town.
Beyond the Piazza Umberto Primo (left) is the BancadiPerugia
(No. 5 ; PI. C, 4), with a room on the first floor adorned with murai
paintings from the history of the town, by A. Brugnoli (1895; adm.
by permission of the manager).
Stili farther on, on the same side, is the *Collegio del Cambio
(PI. C, 4), the old chamber of commerce. The 'Udienza del Cambio'
contains a celebrated series of frescoes by Perugino (1499-1500),
his largest completed work of the kind, for which he received
350 ducats from the guild of merchants. Adm. 7-12 and 3-5, in
winter 10-2; tickets, 50 e, at the adjacent Farmacia Severini; best
These compositions throw important light on the trend of thought
in the Renaissance period ; on one side are the four cardinal virtues,
with the ancient historic personages who stood for them ; while the three
Christian virtues are glorified in the remaining frescoes. On the wall
to the left of the door. lst Arch : to the left, Fabius Maximus, Socrates,
and Numa Pompilius, with Prudence above ; to the right, Furius Camillus,
Pittacus, and Trajan, with Justice above. 2nd Arch: to the left, Lucius
Sicinius, Leonidas, and Horatius Cocles, with Fortitude ; to the right,
Scipio, Pericles, and Cincinnatus, with Temperance. On the pillar between
the arches is a portrait of Perugino. — Opposite the entrance : to the
left, the Transfiguration as the fulfilment of faith ; to the right, *Adoration
of the Magi, as a revelation of love (charity). — Right wall, lst Arch:
to the left, Prophets, to the right, Sibyls, as the heralds of hope; above,
Jchovah. The 2nd Arch is occupied by the finely-carved judicial thronc
and the money-changers' bench. — On the ceiling are medallions of the
seven planets, surrounded by admirable arabesques (the work of Peru-
gino's pupils). — Raphael is said to have been one of his assistants in
the execution of these frescoes, though there is no direct evidence of it.
The exquisite carved and inlaid work ('tarsia') of the benches, doors, etc.
by Dom. del Tasso (1490-93) of Florence and Antonio di Mercatello (1501)
are amongst the finest works of the kind. — The adjacent Chapel con¬
tains an altar-piece and frescoes by Giannicola Manni (1517).
Adjoining the Collegio is the *Palazzo del Municipio (PI. C,
3, 4), a huge edifice of 1281 and 1333, with its principal facade
towards the Corso and a second, with a new flight of steps, towards
the Piazza del Duomo. It is adorned with fine Windows and with
the armorial bearings of towns allied with Perugia. — Over the