to Chiusi. MONTEPULCIANO. o. Route. 47
35 M. Sinalunga; on the hill to the right the village, where
Garibaldi was captured while on the point of marching to Rome,
24th Sept., 1867.
38V2 M. Torrita. Montepulciano becomes visible to the right.
43V2 M. Montepulciano (850 ft.) Near the station is a sugar-
Montepulciano. — The Station is 6 M. from the town (omnibus
in l3/4 hr., fare lx/2 fr., trunk 50 e). — Albergo il Marzocco (PI. a ; D, 2),
Via Garibaldi, R. lx/2-2 fr., very fair; the view from the back-rooms
extends to Lake Trasimeno. — Caffè Poliziano, Via Cavour 2. — The
aromatic and mild red wine of Montepulciano is justly celebrated. iVìno
santo' is a sweet white wine (2 fr. per bottle).
Montepulciano (1984 ft.), a picturesque town with 6288 inhab.,
surrounded by mediseval walls, and commanding fine views, lies
conspicuously on a height belonging to the Monte Cetona range
(p. 49). It was the birthplace of the scholar and poet Angelo
Ambrogini (1454-94), surnamed Politianus after his native place
('Respublica Politiana'), the friend of Lorenzo il Magnifico and pre-
ceptor of his children. Cardinal Roberto Bellarmin (1542-1621),
the strenuous opponent of the Reformation, was also born here.
The situation as well as the monuments of the place repay a visit.
The sights may be inspected in 4-5 hours.
Not far from the N. town-gate (PI. D, 2), at the beginning of
the main Street, the Via Garibaldi, where the omnibus stops, is
a column hearing a heraldic lion (Marzocco). No. 32, on the left,
is the Palazzo Tarugi, built by Vignola. Opposite, Nos. 35-37,
Palazzo Avignonesi, also ascribed to Vignola. Then, also on the
right, No. 29, the Palazzo Buccelli, with Etruscan urn-reliefs and
inscriptions built into the walls, and Sant' Agostino (PI. C, 2),
distinguished by a fine Renaissance facade due to Michelozzo (finished
in 1509), with curious touches of Grothic. In the tympanum above
the main portai is a relief of the Madonna with John the Baptist
and St. Augustine. — The Street now assumes the name Via Cavour.
On the right is the Mercato (market-hall; PI. C, 3), by Vignola. A
little to the N. is the church of Santa Lucia, with a Madonna by
Luca Signorelli. To the S. of the Mercato are the Palazzo Angioletti,
with a receding fagade, and the round Chiesa del Gesù, with florid
baroque ornamentation (1714) and an unfinished facade. — The
continuation of the street is called Via Poliziano ; on the left, No. 1
(PI. C. 5), is the house in which Angelo Poliziano was born, a brick
building of the 14th. cent., with several antique inscriptions.
We next reach the Piazzetta di Santa Maria, with the small
church of Santa Maria (PI. B, 5 ; handsome portai of the 13th cent.),
which commands an admirable view. — The Via Fiorenzuola as-
cends hence to the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele (PI. C, 4; formerly
Piazza Grande), in which rises the cathedral and several sumptu-