42 Route 5.
The lst aitar to the right has a Coronation of the Virgin by Bern.
Fungai; the lst to the left a fine Fresco (freely restored) by
B. Peruzzi, the Sibyl announcing to Augustus the Nativity of Christ
(ca. 1528). Over the entrance are a sword, helmet, shield, and some
bones of a whale, said to have been presented by Columbus.
Farther on in the Via di Camollia, to the right, No. 48, op¬
posite the small Templar church of San Pietro alla Magione,
(PI. B, 1; fine early-Renaissance fagade), is the modest House of
Baldassare Peruzzi (p. 25), indicated by an inscription.
A pleasant Walk (good views) may be taken by a road skirting
the town walls to the right, outside the Porta Camollia (PI. B, 1),
a gate dating from 1604 and hearing the inscription: Cor magis
tibi Senapandit. On a height opposite, beyond the railway station,
lies the monastery of Osservanza (see below). To the right in the
valley below, a little short of the Porta Ovile (PI. D, 3), is the
picturesque Fonte Ovile (PI. E, 3), in the Gothic style. In about
3/4 hr. we reach the Porta Pispini (comp. PI. F, 6; p. 36).
About 1/i M. beyond the Porta Camollia we reach the outer gate
(Antiporto) of 1675 ; to the left, a little short of it, near the Piazza
d'Armi (PI. A, 1), is a column commemorating the meeting of the
Emp. Frederick III. with Queen Eleanor of Portugal (comp. p. 28).
About 1/2 M. farther on (omn. from the Piazza Tolomei every hr.)
stands the Palazzo Turchi, generally known as the Pai. dei Dia¬
voli, a fine brick building, with a chapel, 'a jewel of the early-
Renaissance' (Burckhardt), by Ant. Federighi (1460), containing a
beautiful terracotta aitar by Fr. di Giorgio. Near by is the Eden
Restaurant (frequented in summer).
Excursions (carr. tariff see p. 22). To the N.E. of the Porta Ovile
is situated the Franciscan Convento dell' Osservanza (1053 ft. ; 2 M.
by road). The footpath (}j2 hr.) keeps to the left at the fork immediately
before reaching the railway to Chiusi, passes under the line, and ascends
straight on. The monastery-church, founded by San Bernardino in 1423
and enlarged by Giac. Cozzarelli in 1485, is a noteworthy early-Renais¬
sance work ; its arches and vaults are adorned with terracotta reliefs by
Francesco di Giorgio. At the 2nd aitar on the left is a fine Coronation
of the Virgin, by Andrea della Robbia. On the lst and 3rd altars on
the left are good examples of Sano di Pietro; the predella of the
4th aitar is also by him, the main painting by Taddeo di Bartolo.
Beneath the high-altar is preserved the silver reliquary of San Bernar¬
dino, by Francesco d'Antonio (1460). In the choir, SS. Bernardino and
Elizabeth of Portugal, by Pietro di Giovanni (1439). In the sacristy,
an excellent terracotta group (Pietà) by Giac. Cozzarelli and the tomb
of Pandolfo Petrucci (d. 1512 ; p. 24). Beneath the church is a crypt with
the celi of San Bernardino and a fresco of the Last Judgment ascribed
Farther to the N.E., 4V2 M. from the Porta Ovile, lies the Certosa
di Pontignano, which was founded in 1343, fortified in 1383, and secu-
larized in 1810. The church was modernized in the 17th century. View
from beside the Parocchia.