36 Route 5.
and charmingly situated in a garden far below. — After 5 min.
more, beyond the church of San Giorgio (PI. E, 6), the Via de1
Pispini diverges to the left, in which we first reach the old convent-
church of —
Santo Spirito (PI. E, 6), on the left, with a dome dating from
1508, and a portai from 1519, the latter designed by Baldassare
Interior. Above the entrance-door is a Crucifixion by Sano di Pietro.
The lst chapel on the right (Cappella degli Spagnuoli) contains, above a
St. Rosa of Viterbo (p. 113), the following admirable paintings by Sodoma
(1530) : Madonna presenting the gown of the Order of the Dominicans to
St. Alfonso, in the presence of SS. Rosalia and Lucia; to the right and
left SS. Sebastian and Anthony the Abbot; at the top, St. James of
Compostella (fresco). To the right is an Adoration of the Shepherds in
terracotta by the Fiorentine Fra Ambrogio della Robbia (1504). — To the
right and left in the 2nd chapel are wooden statues of SS. Catharine and
Vincent Ferrer, both by Giac. Cozzarelli. — On the left wall in the
3rd chapel on the right is a Coronation of the Virgin by Dom. Beccafumi.—
By the first aitar to the left, Virgin between SS. Francis and Catharine,
by Matteo Balducci. Over the 3rd aitar to the left, Coronation of the
Virgin by Girol. del Pacchia, an early work.
The beautiful Cloisters (sagrestano 20-30 e.) are unfortunately dis-
figured by modern additions ; they contain a Crucifixion by Fra Paolino
of Pistoia (1516).
The Fonte dei Pispini dates in its present form from 1534.
On the neighbouring Porta Pispini, or Porta San Viene, is a
damaged fresco (Nativity) by Sodoma (1531).
Opposite Santo Spirito we enter the Vicolo del Sasso, follow the
Via dell' Oliviere and Via San Girolamo to the right, pass a column
with the she-wolf, and reach San Girolamo (PI. E, 7), belonging to
a former nunnery (3rd aitar to the left : Madonna with saints, by
Matteo di Giovanni, f ramed in marble by Lorenzo di Mariano ; in
the cloisters behind the church a large fresco of the Assumption
by Fungai). On the left we next reach the church of the —
Servi di Maria (PI. E, 7), or Santissima Concezione, re¬
constructed from an older church in 1471-1522.
First aitar to the right : Madonna, by the Fiorentine Coppo di Marco-
valdo (1261). Fourth aitar to the right: Massacre of the Innocents, by
Matteo di Giovanni (1491) ; above, Adoration of the Shepherds, by Taddeo
di Bartolo (?). In the right transept is the Vergine del Popolo, by Lippo
Memmi. — The Coronation of the Virgin over the high-altar is the master-
piece of Bern. Fungai (1500). — The chapels to the right and left of the
high-altar contain (restored) frescoes by Ambr. Lorenzetti (?) : Massacre
of the Innocents, Daughter of Herodias, Death of John the Baptist.
By the 2nd aitar to the left, Madonna del Belvedere by Giacomo di Mino
del Pellicciaio (p. 29; 1363). — In the left transept is the 'Madonna del
Manto' (1436), by Giovanni di Paolo (freely restored).
The piazza in front of the church commands a fine view. — The
Porta Romana (PI. E, 8) has a damaged fresco (Coronation of the
Virgin), begun by Taddeo di Bartolo and finished by Sano di Pietro.
— About Y3 M. beyond the gate is the church of Madonna degli
Angeli, the choir of which contains a Madonna with saints, by
Raffaello Carli (1502).