34 Haute 5. SIENA. Sant' Agostino,
Egypt, at the high-altar), and others. — Passing under an archway,
we enter the Piazza Giordano Bruno (PI. C, 7), with the Reale
Collegio Tolomei, formerly a convent and now a grammar-school
(Liceo), and the church of —
Sant' Agostino (PI. C, 7), rémodelled by Vanvitelli in 1755,
the entrance to which is in the Liceo, to the left.
Over the 2nd aitar on the right, a Crucifixion by Pietro Perugino
(before 1506). Massacre of the Innocents by Matteo di Giovanni (1482),
in a chapel on the right. Statue of Pius II. by Dupré. Altar-piece, an
Adoration of the Magi by Sodoma. In the choir, a painted statue of
the Madonna of the school of Jac. della Quercia; at the back, on the
left, the Legend of Sant' Agostino Novello in three sections, an altar-
piece by Simone Martini (?more probably of the School of the Loren¬
zetti). In the left transept, painted terracotta statue of San Niccolò da
Tolentino, by Giac. Cozzarelli. In the second chapel to the left of the
choir, Temptation of St. Anthony, by Rutilio Manetti. Also pictures by
Ventura Salimbeni and others.
In the Via dei Tufi, which leads hence to the Porta Tufi (PI. C, 8),
is, on the right, the entrance to the Botanic Garden (adm. 10-12
and 2-6; fee 50 e; visitors ring). — The Cimitero della Miseri¬
cordia, 5 min. beyond the gate (to the left at the fork), contains
among its monuments a good Pietà by Dupré and several statues
by Sarrocchi, Pegni, Bianconi, and others ; finest view in the morn¬
ing and evening (fee 30-50 e).
In returning, we follow the Via delle Cerchia (PI. B, 7 ; No. 3
in which is the small Palazzo Finetti) to the W. of Sant' Agostino,
and then the Via Baldassare Peruzzi, on the left side of which are
the suppressed monastery (now a barrack) and church of —
Santa Maria del Carmine (PI. A, 7), a handsome brick edi-
fice, with campanile and cloisters, ascribed to Baldassare Peruzzi.
On the right is the Cappella del Sacramento, with aNativity of Mary
and, above, God the Father, by Sodoma, lst aitar on the right,
Assumption, by Pietro Lorenzetti, re-discovered at the restoration
of the church in 1903-8; 2nd aitar on the right, Beccafumi, St.
Michael ; 2nd aitar on left, Girolamo del Pacchia, Ascension. In
the beautiful sacristy is a statue of St. Sigismund by Cozzarelli.
Opposite is the Palazzo Pollini (PI. B, 7), formerly Celsi, at¬
tributed to Peruzzi. — We now proceed straight on through the
Via del Fosso di Sant' Ansano to the early-Renaissance church of
San Sebastiano (PI. B, 6), or Chiesa degli Innocenti (sacristan
at No. 15 Via Franciosa), the exterior of which is quite unfinished.
The charming interior, which is in the form of a Greek cross, was
planned by Girol. Ponsi (1490?; comp. p. 25) and contains some
pictures. — We may now either return by the steps on the right
to the Piazza del Duomo, or proceed through the Via Vallepiatta
(left) to the Fontebranda (pp. 29, 40).
Outside the Porta San Marco (PI. A, 8) there is a fine view.