Palazzo BuonsignorL SIENA.
5. Route. 33
Opposite the facade of the cathedral are the church and hospital
of Santa Maria della Scala (Pl.B, 6), of the 13th century. Over
the high-altar of the church is a Risen Christ, a statue in bronze
by Vecchietta (1466). The choir-stalls are by Ventura di Giuliano,
the organ by B. Peruzzi (?). Adjoining the entrance-hall of the
hospital, with its handsome Renaissance coffered ceiling, by Gui-
doccio d'Andrea, is a large sick-room called 'Il Pellegrinalo', ad¬
orned with frescoes from the history of the hospital by Domenico
di Bartolo (1440-43) and others. Pleasing view from the Windows
(fee x/2 fr.). — In the basement (entr. to the left of the church) are
the rooms of the charitable society called the Esecutori di Pie
Disposizioni, with a small collection of pictures (best time in the
The Via del Capitano (PI. B, 6) leads from the S. corner of the
Piazza del Duomo to the S.W- quarters of the town. Immediately
on the right is the Palazzo del Capitano or Grottanelli (now
Piccolomini Clementini), a Gothic building of the 14th cent.,
originally the officiai residence of the Capitano di Giustizia, or
chief judicial functionary, and of the Capitano di Guerra, or milit-
ary commander. In 1457 it was acquired by the jurist Tomm. Pecci,
and in 1854 et seq. it was restored in the originai style by G. Rossi.
— ,Farther on, also to the right, at the corner of the small Piazza
Postierla, is the Palazzo Chigi, now Piccolomini-Tolomei, which
contains two saloons adorned with frescoes by Barend van Orley,
a Fleming who joined Raphael's school at Rome.
The column with the she-wolf in the Piazza Postierla dates from
1487. — Not far off, in the Via di Città (p. 26), which [diverges
here to the left, is the Palazzo Piccolomini delle Papesse (No. 20),
erected after designs by Bernardo Rossellino in 1463 for Catarina
Piccolomini, the sister of Pius IL, and now occupied by the Banca
d'Italia (PI. C, 6); adj acent, to the left, stands the old Palazzo
Morsili, rebuilt in 1459 and restored in 1876. Beyond it, to the
right, is the Gothic Palazzo Saracini (formerly Marescotti; 14th
cent.), the cross-vaulting in the court of which is tastefully painted.
Within are paintings by Andrea Vanni, Neroccio di Bartolomeo,
Vecchietta, Sassetta, Girol. del Pacchia, Beccafumi, and other
masters. — In the Via di Stalloreggi, diverging from the Piazza
Postierla to the right, is a corner-house (No. 2 Via di Castelvecchio)
on which is preserved a fresco by Sodoma ('Madonna del Corvo').
On the left in the Via San Pietro (PI. B, C, 6,7), the continuation
of the Via del Capitano, is (No. 11) the *Palazzo Buonsignori,
a Gothic-brick edifice of the 14th cent., with a rich fa$ade, restored
in 1848. The vestibule and court are in the early-Renaissance style.
•^ The church of San Pietro alle Scale (PI. C, 7) contains paint¬
ings by Sano di Pietro, Salimbeni, Rutilio Manetti (Flight into
Baedeker. CentraLJJtaly. 15th Edit. 3