14 Route 3.
terracotta altar-pieces from the studio of the Robbia's, one representing
St. Francis with SS. Clara and Louis, another the Last Judgment (1501).
In the church is an Annunciation by Benvenuto di Giovanni (1466). —
Farther on are the Villa Inghirami and an Etruscan Tomb, in which the
burial-urns are stili in situ (key at the Palazzo Inghirami ; the gardener
supplies a light, V2 fr0-
A pleasant excursion may be made to the copper-mines (miniere di
rame) of Caporciano, to the W. of Montecatini di Val di Cecina, about
10 M. to the W. of Volterra (diligence in 2 hrs., fare l!/2 fr. ; returning
in lV2hr., 1 fr. ; one-horse carr. 6, two-horse 10 fr.). The carriage-road
leads across the hill of La Bacchettona to Montecatini (Alb. Pace), on the
summit of the Selagite, a mountain of volcanic origin. The square tower
of the old castle commands an extensive prospect. The mines have been
worked since the 15th cent., and the operations were successful till within
recent years. The present proprietor is Count Buturlin. The minerai is
found in pockets or clusters, between serpentine, known here as gabbro
verde, and ragged masses of gabbro rosso, or red trachyte. A number
of peaks, such as Monte dell' Abete, Poggio Croce, and Monte Massi,
which were upheaved during the tertiary period through the surrounding
sandstone and limestone, consist of gabbro rosso. The view from Monte
Massi (2030 ft.) or from Poggio Croce (1942 ft. ; 1/2 hr. from Montecatini)
exteiids from the heights near Massa and Carrara towards the N. to Monte
Annata on the S., and embraces the sea with the islands of Elba, Capraia,
From Volterra to Colle di Val d'Elsa, 15x/2 M. diligence once daily
in 3*/2 hrs. (fare 3 fr. ; one-horse carr. 8, two-horse 14 fr.). The highroad
(see PI. F, 4) leads through an undulating district. To the left is seen
San Gimignano (p. 18), to which a road (fine views) diverges after llj2 M.
(reaching it after 11 M. more). About 8V2 M. from Volterra we see the
ruined tower of Montemiccioli above us on the right. About 1V2 M.
farther on a preferable route for pedestrians to San Gimignano diverges
to the left and runs via Ranza and San Donato. To the right lies
Pomarance (p. 11). Colle di Val d'Elsa, see p. 17.
3. Elba and the Tuscan Islands.
A visit to Elba is strongly recommended to the lover of nature. From
Piombino (p. 3 ; fee for embarking or disembarking 50 e.) steamers of the
Navigazione Generale Italiana ply twice daily to Portoferraio in Elba
in li/2 hr. On Sun. morning, on the return-voyage, they cali at Rio
Marina and Porto Longone. Return-ticket, valid for three months, from
Piombino to Portoferraio 5 fr. 20 or 3 fr. 50 e. — From Leghorn (fee for
embarking or disembarking 1/2-lVa fr.) a steamer of the same company
starts on Tues. morning; it touches at Gorgona, Capraia, and Marciana,
reaches Portoferraio (16 fr. 5 or 10 fr. 70 e. ; the steamer lies to at the
mole), and goes on next morning to Piombino (see above), Rio Marino,
Porto Longone, and Marina di Campo in Elba, Pianosa, Talamone, and
Porto Santo Stefano (p. 5) on the coast of Tuscany. On Thurs. night
it goes on to Civitavecchia (p. 9). On the return to Leghorn it leaves
Civitavecchia at noon on Thurs., Porto Santo Stefano on Frid. night,
and Portoferraio on Sat. morning. Another steamer, starting on Frid.
morning, follows the same route to Pianosa and lies to for the night in
Porto Longone; it returns from Pianosa on Sat., from Portoferraio on
About 3y2 M. to the W. of Leghorn rises the cliff of Meloria,
off which the Pisans were so signally defeated in a naval battle by
the Genoese in 1284 that they never regained their former supre-