12 Route 2.
inspected near Santa Chiara (PI. A, 1, 2) and to the N. outside the
Porta Fiorentina (PI. C, D, 1). One of the ancient gateways is also
stili in existence, the * Porta all'Arco (PI. C, 4), a round arch 20 ft.
in height, with three unrecognizable heads in peperino. Il Portone
(PI. D, 1), another ancient gateway, outside the Porta Fiorentina,
has been much altered. Outside the same gate, below the bury-
ing-ground, is situated the ancient Necropolis (Necropoli Antica,
PI. D, 1), about halfway up the hill, at the place now called Mar-
mini. Ali the tombs have been closed up again.
The Palazzo dei Priori, now the Municipio (PI. 2; C, 3), in
the Piazza Maggiore, a handsome edifice, ereeted in 1208-57; the
facade is adorned with Renaissance coats-of-arms.
Since 1905 a small Collection of Piotures (Galleria) has been.
arranged on the second floor; tickets of admission (1 fr.) are obtained
at the municipal office (Segretaria). The most noteworthy are : Taddeo
di Bartolo, Altar-piece (1411); Priamo di Piero, Madonna with six angels;
Benvenuto di Giovarmi, Adoration of the Shepherds (1470) ; Luca Signo¬
relli, Madonna with six saints and two angels (1491; much injured),
Annunciation (1491 ; retouched) ; Dom. Ghirlandaio, Christ in a glory
with SS. Benedict, Romualdo, Actinea and Graeciniana; Rosso Fiorentino,
Descent from the Cross (1521); Neri di Bicci, St. Sebastian; Franceschini,
Madonna and saints.
Adjoining, to the right, is the entrance to the Cathedral (PI. C, 3),
consecrated in 1120 by Pope Calixtus IL, and said to have been en-
larged in 1254 by Niccolò Pisano.
Interior. To the right and left of the entrance are reliefs from the
life of SS. Regulus and Octavianus (14th cent.) ; the pulpit is adorned
with sculptures of the early 13th century. The two angels with cande-
labra on the high-altar are by Mino da Fiesole. The sarcophagus of
St. Octavianus is by Raffaele Cioli (1522) ; the elaborate roof by Fr. Ca-
priani (1570). — In the S. transept is a fine wooden group (13th cent.)
of the Descent from the Cross. — The Sacristy contains a few reliquaries
of the 15th and 16th centuries.
Opposite the cathedral rises the octagonal baptistery of San
Giovanni (PI. C. 3), built in 1283. The fine arch of the high-altar
is by Balsinelli da Settignano (16th cent.), the octagonal font by
And. Sansovino (1502), and the ciborium by Mino da Fiesole (1471).
San Lino (PI. C, 3), a church founded in 1480 by Raffaele
Maffei, contains the tomb of that scholar, with a recumbent statue
by Silvio Cosini of Fiesole (1522).
In the Via Ricciarelli is the house (No. 14 ; PI. B, C, 3) in which
Daniele da Volterra, the celebrated pupil of Michael Angelo, was
bora in 1509 (he died at Rome in 1566). The house stili belongs
to the family of Ricciarelli, who possess a fine Elias, and a Virgin
and Child with St. Martina by Dan. da Volterra, and a Marriage of
St. Catharine by Sodoma.
San Francesco (PI. B, 2) contains on the right the Grothic Cappella
della Santa Croce of 1315, with frescoes from the life of the Sav-
iour and the legend of the Cross by Cenni di Francesco of Florence