6 Route 1.
to Elba, see p. 14; Lloyd's sub-agent, P. Bavastro), and to Port' Ercole
(the ancient Portus Hercidis) on the S. side. The ascent of the S. peak
(Telegrafo; 2083 ft.), on which is a trigonometrical signal, is very iuter-
esting (from Orbetello, 3-4 hrs. ; guide 4-5 fr.). The view embraces the
coast of Tuscany and the Roman highlands to the N.E. as far as Monte
Amiata (p. 46), and (on the W.) the sea with the islands of the Tuscan
archipelago as far as Sardinia. Halfway up the height, 2 M. to the N.,
is a monastery of the Passionists (853 ft.). If time is limited the first
and lower eminence, 3/4 hr. from Orbetello, with a picturesque view of
the coast, should be visited.
Orbetello is the most convenient starting-point for an excursion to
the (4x/2 M.) interesting ruins of the ancient Cosa (374 ft. ; the present
Ansedonia), situated to the S.E. (carriage there and back, including stay
of 5 hrs., 8 fr.). Cosa was an old Etruscan town, deserted since the 5th
century A.D. The polygonal walls (1600 yds. in circumference) with their
towers are admirably preserved. A beautiful prospect is enjoyed hence.
Motor-omnibus from Orbetello via Pitigliano (p. 5) to Orvieto, see
The train soon enters the former Papal territory and traverses
the Roman Maremma. — 121 M. Capalbio, for the village of that
name, 3 M. to the N. — 125y2 M. Chiarone. We then cross the
Fiora (ancient Arminia).
135y2 M. Montalto di Castro (Irene Ramadori's Inn, plain).
About 7V2 M. above Montalto the Fiora is crossed by the ancient
Ponte dell' Abbadia, and 1 M. to the S. of the latter, on the right bank,
is the site of Vulci, or Volci, where thousands of Greek and Etruscan
vases have been discovered since 1828. The ancient city itself, one of
the twelve Etruscan capitals, the circumference of which is ascertained
to have been 372 M., has disappeared with the exception of its tombs.—
Toscanella (p. 101) lies about 15V2 M. to the E.
Beyond Montalto the country is undulating. We cross the small
rivers Arrone (p. 10) and Marta (p. 106).
144 M. Corneto. On a chalky plateau overlooking the Marta,
2 M. to the left of the station (seat in a carriage 1/2 fr.), is the
antiquated town of —
Corneto (490 ft. ; Alb. & Rist. Tarquinia, Via dell' Indipen¬
denza, 18 R. from ll/2 fr., well spoken of), with numerous towers
and a population of 5273. The town sprang up in the early middle
ages near the town of Tarquinii (p. 7 ; destroyed by the Saracens),
to which fact it owes its officiai name of Corneto Tarquinia.
Tarquinii was anciently one of the twelve Etruscan capitals,
and remarkable for the influence which it exercised on the devel¬
opment of the national religion of Etruria. It participated in the
war of the Etruscan confederation against Rome, but was compelled
to surrender after the Samnite war and to receive a Roman colony,
which continued to flourish during the empire. Its ancient necro¬
polis, discovered in 1823, is the chief object of interest at Corneto.
The Grothic Palazzo Vitelleschi, in the main Street, near the
gate, was enlarged by Cardinal Vitelleschi in 1439, and has recently
been restored. The old part is lighted by rich Grothic Windows;
the more modera flolor.T'.a.dpd fnurt, has two stories, with a loggia