/. Route. 5
other antiquities (adm. free). — Branch-line to Asciano (Siena),
see p. 45.
Around Grosseto, and to the W., in the direction of Castiglione della
Pescaia (p. 4), extends a considerable pasture-land, reclaimed from what
was once a malarial swamp, and, stili earlier, the Lacus Prelius of
About 3V2 M. to the N.E. of Grosseto (carriage-road) lie the sulphur-
eous Bagni Rosellani, whence the ruins of Rusellee are reached in Va hr.
(guide necessary). Rusellse, anciently one of the twelve capitals of the
Etruscan confederation, has been deserted since the middle of the 12th
century. The walls, which are nearly 2 M. in circumference, and in most
places accessible, consist partly of horizontal courses, partly of poly-
gonal blocks (6-8 ft. high, 6V2-13 ft. long).
Beyond Grosseto the Ombrone (the ancient Umbro) is crossed. —
95 M. Alberese. The line skirts the wooded Monti dell' Uccellino
(1360 ft.) towards the E. ; to the S. the imposing Monte Argentario
105 M. Talamone. The village lies at the end of the promon¬
tory, 2 M. to the W., and possesses an anchorage sheltered by the
island of Griglio and the Monte Argentario (steamer to Elba, p. 14).
The ancient Telamon, where, in 225 B.C., the Roman legions landed
and defeated the Gauls, who were marching against Rome, lay 1 M.
to the S. of the railway-station, on a hill (Torre di Talamonaccio ;
344 ft.) at the mouth of the little river Osa.
The train crosses the Osa, then the more important Albegna
(the ancient Albinia), at the mouth of which are salt-works. —
109 y2 M. Albegna.
A carriage-road (diligence once daily to Manciano in 5J/2 hrs., to Piti-
gliano in 9 hrs. ; fares 4 and 5 fr.) runs to the N.E. from Albegna via
(8 M.) Marsiliana (394 ft.), the finely situated (20 M.) Mandano (1453 ft.;
Michele Vecchiarelli's Inn, very plain), and (3V2 M.) Pitigliano (1027 ft. ;
comp. pp. 6,104), to (37V2M.) Sovana (the ancient Suana). From Manciano
a carriage-road runs to the N. via Montemerano to (8 M.) Saturnia (968 ft.),
a fortified village on a precipitous height, whose site and name have
remained unchanged from Etruscan times, while traces of its old walls
and tombs are stili visible.
;U372 M. Orbetello (Rail. Restaurant). The village (omn.
1 fr.; Albergo Nazionale, Corso Principe Amedeo, R. 1-2 fr., clean;
Alb. Rosa), a maritime fortress, with 4188 inhab., is situated 2 M.
to the W., at the extremity of a promontory, near the foot of Monte
Argentario (see below), which rises immediately from the sea. The
latter is connected with the mainland by two narrow tongues of
land (Tomboli), whereby a large salt-water lagoon is formed, from
the midst of which the town rises. The lagoon, which abounds in
fish, nowhere exceeds 5 ft. in depth. The polygonal walls on the
sides next the sea testify to the great antiquity of the town, although
its ancient name is unknown.
The Monte Argentario, with its two peaks, an isolated outlier of
the mountain-system of Central Tuscany, was once an island. From
Orbetello a carriage-road runs along the embankment across the lagoon,
then turns to the N. to Porto Santo Stefano (Alb. La Pace, R. 1 fr.;
diligence from Orbetello thrice daily in 2 hrs., fare 1 fr. 20 e; steamboat