1. Route. 3
About 8V2 M." to the E. (omn. in 2 hrs., 1 fr. ; one-horse carr. 4-6 fr.)
lies Casciana (462 ft. ; Albergo delle Terme, pens. 8-9 fr. ; Stella, Giap¬
pone, pens. 6-7 fr.), a bathing-resort with chalybeate and sulphur springs
(97° Fahr.) and 1177 inhabitants. Omnibus from (10 M.) Pontedera (p. 10),
on the Florence and Pisa railway, twice daily in 2 hrs., fare 1 fr. ; from
Leghorn in summer on Wed. and Sat. in 3*/2-4 hrs.
17 M. Orciano; 21X/2M. Santa Luce.— 23y2M. Rosignano,
the village of which name is situated on a hill (482 ft.) to the right.
About 51/2 M. to the E. of the station (omn. twice daily in l3/4 hr.)
lies Castellina Marittima (1230 ft. ; Carlo Conti's Imi), on the
Monte Vitalba (2211 f-t.), with alabaster quarries (see p. 11). —
From (28 M.) Vada a branch-line to Leghorn is under construction.
The main line crosses the Cecina, the ancient Caecina.
3IY2 M. Cecina (pop. 5120; Alb- Universo; unpretending café
at the station), where a branch-line to Volterra diverges (see p. 10),
is of modern origin.
35y2M. Bibbona-Casale. The line now approaches the coast.
Populonia (see below) becomes visible to the right, on a chain of
hills projecting into the sea; beyond it, the island of Elba (p. 15).
42 M. Castagneto, the village of which name (636 ft.) stands
on a hill 5 M. to the left. — 47 M. San Vincenzo. — 53x/2 M.
Campiglio Marittima (Alb. della Stazione, R. iy2 fr., with rail.
restaurant); the town, with 5259 inhab. and a ruined castle, lies on
the height (905 ft.) 472 M. to the N.E.
From Campi glia to Piombino, 8V2 M., railway in 32-46 min. (fares
1 fr. 65, 1 fr. 15, 75 e). — 3 M. Poggio, 3i/2 M. to the E. of Populonia
(see below). — 8 M. Portovecchio, with smelting-foundries for the iron
8V2 M. Piombino (*Gr. Hot. Moderno, R. 2-4, D. 3, pens. 8-10 fr. ;
Alb. Italia e Api, R. from 1 fr. 20 e. ; Lloyd's sub-agents, A. Béllettieri
& Co.), a town with 5979 inhab., originally belonged to Pisa, in 1399
became a principality of the Appiani, in 1603 was acquired by Spain, and
then by the family of Boncompagni-Ludovisi, from whom it was wrested
by Napoleon in 1805 in favour of his brother-in-law, the Corsican Felix
Bacciocchi. In 1815 it was assigned to Tuscany. It lies at the S. end
of a wooded promontory, formerly an island but now joined to the
mainland owing to the silting up of the river Cornia. The harbour
commands a grand view of the sea and the island of Elba (p. 15 ; in front
of which rise the cliffs of Cerboli and Palmaiola), of Giglio and the coast,
and Corsica in the distance. — Steamboat to Elba, see p. 14.
A forenoon suffices for a visit to Populonia, the ancient Etruscan
seaport of Pupluna, at the N. end of the peninsula, about 3 hrs. from
Piombino. The shorter route via Monte Massoncello (938 ft.) and through
woods of cork-oaks requires a guide. The town with its mediaeval castle,
situated on a lofty and precipitous hill, is conspicuous from ali sides.
It suffered greatly from a siege by Sulla in 82 B. C. ; in the time of
Strabo it had fallen to decay, and it is now a poor village. In ancient
times the iron of Elba was smelted herc, together with the tin and copper
ores of the neighbouring district which formed the material basis of the
Etruscan art of bronze-founding. The old town-walls (IV2 M. in circum-
ference), which may stili be distinctly traced, are particularly well pre¬
served on the side next the sea; they. consist of huge blocks, approach-
ing the polygonal style. The views towards the land and the sea are
striking and extensive. A few arches, erroneously said to belong to an
amphitheatre, and a reservoir are of Roman origin.