to Salisbury. SALISBURY. 45. Route. 333
At one time Winchester is said to have possessed no fewer than
ninety churches. Of the eleven now in existence the most notable,
after the cathedral, is St. John's Church, which is interesting on
account of the peculiarity of its ground-plan, the aisles being con¬
siderably wider than the nave. The style is partly Norman, and
partly Early English Gothic. — The City Cross in the High Street.
originally of good design, has been spoiled by recent attempts at
restoration. — The ('ounty Court contains a curious old hall, which
once formed part of a castle erected by Henry III., and deserves
the notice of the antiquary. — The Municipal Library and Museum
in Jewry Street (admission free) contains some antiquities found in
About 1 AT. to the S.AV. of the town lies the*Hospital of St.
Cross, which may be reached either through Southgate Street, or by
a path along the bank of the Itchin. This peculiar institution was
founded in 1163 by Bishop Henri de Blois for the maintenance of
13 poor men, unable to work, and for the partial support of 100
others. A Temnant of the ancient hospitality is still maintained,
anyone who applies at the porter's lodge being entitled to the re¬
freshment of a horn of ale and a slice of bread. Both ale and bread,
however, are said to be of the poorest possible quality! The
*Church, completed before the year 1200, and lately restored, is a
beautiful and interesting example of the transition from the Nor¬
man to the Jiarly English style of architecture. — On the opposite
bank of the Itchin, not far from the hospital, is *St. Catherine's
Hill, crowned with a group of trees, and affording an admirable
view of the ancient town.
Railway from Southampton to Salisbury in 1 hr. 10min. (trav¬
ellers coming from Winchester change carriages at Bishopstoke).
Stations, Bishopstoke, Chandler's Ford. Then Romseyf White Horse,
Dolphin); the prettily situated little town, with its Norman * Abbey
Church, lies about 1r2 AI. from the station. In the neighbourhood
is Broadlands, the country-seat of Lord Palmerston (d. 1865). —
Stations F)unbridge and Dean.
Salisbury (White Hart Hotel, R. and A. 4s.. B. 2s. 6d. ; Red
Lion; Lamb ; Three Swans ,- West End Hotel), the county town of
Wiltshire, with 13,000 inhab., is pleasantly situated at the con¬
fluence of the three small rivers Wiley, Avon, and Bourne.
The T'athedrai. (divine service, with fine music, daily), the
eastern portion of which was erected in 122(1-58, and the western
parts and facade somewhat later, is one of the most important
examples of Early English Gothic. The richly adorned central spire,
404 ft. in height, was built in 1250. and is the loftiest in Eng¬
land. The church is 480 ft. in length, and measures 230 ft. across
the transepts. The exterior is remarkable for the uniformity and
perspicuity of its construction. The sculptures on the beautiful W.
front were nearly all destroyed by the Puritans, but have receutly