27. SOUTH KENSINGTON MUSEUM. 245
in length. The principal or royal entrance is through the Albert
Hall (p. 243); there are two ordinary entrances in Exhibition
Road (see below), and two more from Queen's Gate on the AV. side.
Since 1874 the International Exhibition has been discontinued for
lack of patronage, and the galleries used for other purposes. The
S. gallery is at present devoted to the National Collection of Portraits
and the other collections connected with South Kensington Museum,
noticed at p. 257.
The Eastern Gallery contains the "India Museum (PL Gil ;
entrance in Exhibition Road, a little to the N. of the National
Portrait Gallery ; admission 10-6, Monday and Saturday Id., other
days 6d.). The Entrance Hall contains sculpture. The Lower
Gallery is devoted to agricultural implements, vegetable products,
models of machinery and boats, minerals, shells, stuffed beasts,
birds, and fishes. The Upper Gallery contains the ethnological
collection, and various specimens of art and architecture. AVe
notice here Tippoo Sahib's barbaric toy—a mechanical tiger, devour¬
ing a European. At one time it could emit a roar and a growl, but
it has long since lost these musical capabilities.
The Eastern Gallery also contains the National School of Cookery
(entrance in the Exhibition Road, a little to the N. of that of the
India Museum), an institution for teaching the economical pre¬
paration of articles of food suitable to smaller households, and for
training teachers for branch cookery schools, of which there are now
several in London and other large towns.
On the opposite side of Exhibition Road, at the corner of Crom¬
well Road, is the South Kensington Museum. — The large building
in process of construction to the S. of the International Exhibition
Galleries, and nearly finished externally, is destined to form a
Natural History Museum, and to contain the natural history collec¬
tions of the British Museum. It is ornamented with bands and
dressings in terTacotta, and occupies a great part of the site of the
Exhibition of 1862. It faces Cromwell Road, a street of palatial
residences, about 1 M. in length, and so called because Henry, son
of the Protector, resided in a house which once stood here.
27. South. Kensington Museum.
The **South Kensington Museum (PL G 11 , H 11), in
Brompton, to the S. of Hyde Park, at the corner of Exhibition
Road and Cromwell Road, 1 M. to the W. of Hyde Park Corner, is
most easily reached by the Metropolitan Railway. The station
(p. 31) is only a few hundred yards to the S.AV. either of the prin¬
cipal entrance in Cromwell Road, oroftheN.W. entrance in Ex¬
hibition Road. The Museum is open gratis on Mondays, Tuesdays,
and Saturdays from 10a.m. to 10 p.m. ; on Wednesdays, Thurs¬
days, and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4, 5, or 6 p.m. according to the sea-