242 26. ALBERT MEMORIAL.
tion, the famous * Hertford Collection, one of the most valuable
private collections in England, long on view at Bethnal Green
Museum (comp. p. 117 ). Besides a very choice gallery of pictures,
the collection includes specimens of gold and silver workmanship,
Renaissance and rococo furniture, majolica, porcelain, bronzes, and
art-treasures of every description. It is only shown by the special
permission of the owner.
Dutch and Flemish Masters. Van Dyck, Portraits of Philip le Roy
and bis wife; Portrait of the wife of De Vos, the painter. Rubens, Holy
Family; Christ's charge to Peter; Rainbow landscape. Bol, Man with
goblet. "Hobbema, Water-mill. Ruysdael, Waterfall. W. ran de Velde,
Men-of-war in a calm. Both, Italian landscape. Van Mieris, Vegetable
sellers; Joseph and Potiphar's wife. Hals, Portrait of a man. A. Ostade.
The fishmonger. Metsu, The sportsman. Rembrandt, The Unmerciful
Italian- .School. Titian, Rape of Europa. Del Sarto, Madonna. Bron¬
zino, Portrait of a lady. Salvator Rosa, Landscape. Canaletto, Sixteen
views of Venice.
Spanish School. Velasquez, Infanta of Spain; Lady with fan. Murillo,
Adoration of the Shepherds; Annunciation; Madonna.
Fiienoh School. Meissonier, The connoisseurs. Greuze, Heads. Fine
examples of Vevnet, Delaroche, Watteau, Ary Scheffer, Rosa Bonheur, De¬
camps, and Gerome.
Knolisii School. Reynolds, Xelly O'Brien; Miss Bowles. Examples
of Lawrence, Stanjield, Landseer, llonington, and others.
Dudley House (PL 1, 9), Park Lane, the mansion of the Earl of
Dudley, also contains a fine collection of paintings, to which access
is sometimes obtainable (orders from Messrs. Smith, 43 Old Bond
26. Albert Memorial. Albert Hall. Horticultural
Society's Gardens. India Museum.
To the S. of Kensington Gardens, between Queen's Gate and
Prince's Gate, near the site of the Exhibition of 1851, rises the *A1-
bert Memorial (PL G 11), a magnificent monument to Albert, the
late Prince, Consort (d. 1801), erected by the English nation at a cost
of 120,000/. , half of which was defrayed by voluntary contri¬
butions. On a spacious platform, to which granite steps ascend on
each side, rises a basement, adorned with reliefs in marble, repre¬
senting artists of every period (169 figures). On the S. side are Poets
and .Musicians, and on the E. side Painters, by Armstead; on the
N. side Architects, and on the YV. Sculptors, by Philip. Four pro¬
jecting pedestals at the angles support marble groups, representing
Agriculture, Alanufacture, Commerce, and Engineering. In the
centre of the basement sits the colossal bronze-gilt figure of Prince
Albert, wearing the robes of the Garter, 15 ft. high, by Foley, under a
Gothic canopy, borne by four clustered granite columns. The canopy
terminates at the top in a Gothic sp:re. rising upwards in three
stages, and surmounted by a cross. The whole monument, designed
by Sir G. G. Scott (A. 1878), is 175 ft. in height, and is gorgeously