24. KENSINGTON GARDENS. 237
testify to their enjoyment. After the lapse of about an hour the
flag is lowered, as an indication that the bathing time is over, and
in quarter of an hour every trace of the lively scene has disappeared.
— Pleasure-boats may be hired on the Serpentine.
In winter the Serpentine, when frozen over, is much fre¬
quented by skaters. To provide against accidents, the Royal Humane
Society, mentioned at p. 129, has a 'receiving-house'here, where
attendants and life-saving apparatus are kept in readiness for any
emergency. The bottom of the Serpentine was cleaned and level¬
led in 1870; the average depth in the centre is now 7 ft., and
towards the edges 3 ft. At the point where the Serpentine enters
Kensington Gardens it is crossed by a five-arched bridge, constructed
by Sir John Rennie in 1826.
On the AV. side of the park is a powder magazine. Reviews,
both of regular troops and volunteers, sometimes take place in
Hyde Park. The Londoner's peaceful enjoyment of the breezy
walks and shady groves, of Hyde Park has of late years been fre¬
quently interrupted, even on Sundays, by the invasion of noisy
organised crowds, holding 'demonstrations' in favour or disfavour
of some political idea or measure.
To the W. of Hyde Park, and separated from it by a broad, dry
moat, lie Kensington Gardens (I'l. G10, etc.), with their noble
avenues of majestic old trees, which afford most grateful and shady
walks in summer (carriages not admitted). The gardens are chiefly
frequented on Tuesday and Friday afternoons, when they are enliven¬
ed by the music of the band of the Life Guards. Near the Serpentine
are the new flower gardens ; at the N. extremity is a sitting figure
of Dr. Jenner (d. 1823), by Marshall. The Broad Walk on the W.
side, 50 ft. in width , leads from Bayswater to Kensington Road.
The Albert Memorial (p. 242) rises on the S. side. The handsome
wrought-iron gates opposite the Memorial were those of the S.
Transept of the Exhibition Buildings of 1851, which stood a little
to the E., on the ground between Prince's Gate and the Serpentine,
and was afterwards removed and re-erected as the Crystal Palace
at Sydenham (see p. 273).
Kensington Palace (PL J 10), an old royal residence, built in
part by William III., was the scene of the death of that monarch
and his consort, Mary, of Queen Anne and her husband, Prince
George of Denmark, and of George II. Here, too, Queen Victoria
was born and brought up, and here she received the news of the death
of William !Ar. and her own accession. The interior contains nothing
noteworthy. Kensington Palace is now the residence of the Prin¬
cess Louise and her husband the Marquis of Lome, of the Prince
and Princess of Teck (the latter first cousin to the Queen), and
also of various annuitants and widows belonging to the aristocracy.
The palace has a chapel of its own, with regular Sunday services.
Opposite Kensington Palace, on the S. of Kensington Road, is