SHETLAND ISLANDS. 76. Route. 571
berwick, 15 M. there and back. — To Mousa and Fitful Head, 28 M. The
road runs to the S. from Gulberwick (p. 570) to (13 M.) Sandlodge, where
permission is obtained to ferry to the (2 M.) island of Mousa, on which
is the finest "Broch or 'Piclish Tower' in Scotland. — From Sandlodge the
road continues to the S. to (25 M.) Sumhorough Head (300 ft.), and thence
runs to the N.W. to (28 M.) "Fitful Head (928 ft.). There is a lighthouse
on each promontory.
Scalloway (Royal; Scalloway), with 730 inhab., is picturesquely
situated at the head of Cliff Sound, 6 M. from Lerwick. The Castle,
built in 1600 by Earl Patrick Stewart, is in tolerable preservation.
The steamer route from Sealloway to Hillswick (comp. p. 568) is one
of the finest excursions in the islands, with views of magnificent clilT-
scenery. To the W. as we leave Scalloway appears the distant island of
Foula (260 inhab.), a famous haunt of sea-fowl. To tbe right is the j arish
of Walls, noted for its 'voes' (bays) and lochs. At Brae, where Mainland
narrows to an isthmus, the Mavis Grind or Gull's Bridge, only 50 yds.
wide, it is sometimes possible to catch the Lerwick steamer in the Sullem
Voe. Hillswick (hotel) is near some of the best cliff-scenery in the islands.
To the Northern Shetlands by the 'Earl of Zetland', see p. 568.
The steamer on certain voyages visits the N.W. parts of Mainland.
— Whalsay is the first island touched at. Yell, a bleak island,
has numerous brochs and ruined chapels. Fetlar, to the N.E. is
fertile and picturesque. The northernmost island is Unst , at the
S.W. end of which is the ruined Muness Castle (1598). Balta
Sound (hotel), on the E. coast, is an important fishing-station; near
it are three stone-circles. Abo ut 2 M. to the N. is Haroldswick, where
Harold Haarfagr landed in 872 to begin the conquest of the islands.