564 Route 74. LAIRG. From Inverness
663/4 M. Lairg (Rail. Rfmt. Stall). The village (Sutherland
Arms) lies 2 M. from the station (omn., Gd.) , at the foot of Loch
Shin (17 M. long, 1-2 M. broad). From Lairg mail-cart routes
diverge in various directions, by means of which the highly pictur¬
esque country to the W. and N.W., much frequented by anglers,
may be conveniently explored.
From Lairg to Loch Inver, 49 M., mail-cart daily in 8-9 hrs. (fare
12s. 6d.). Turning to the S. at the hotel, the road crosses the river Shin,
skirts it for 1/2 M., and descends to (11 M.) Rosehall, near which are the
pretty falls of the Cassley. Road hence to Invershin, see above. Beyond
Rosehall our route ascends Strath Oykell, keeping near the river, to (17 M.)
Oykell Bridge Hotel, frequented by anglers. As we proceed a number of
isolated mountain-summits come into sight: to the right Ben More (see
below), in front Suilven, with Canisp on its right and Coulmore and Coulbeg
on its left. Beyond the little Loch Craggie (on the left) tbe road descends
to (27 M.) Aultnagealgach Inn, an anglers' resort on Loch Borrolan. From
(281/2 M.) Ledmore a road leads to the left to Loch Broom and (18 M.)
Ullapool (p. 567). Our road turns to the N. and after an ascent descends
again to (35 M.) "Inchnadamph Hotel (pens, from 12s.), at the head of Loch
Assynt, whence Ben More of Assynt (3273 ft.), Canisp (2779 ft.), and Quinag
(265S ft.) may be ascended. Farther on we skirt the N. bank of "Loch
Assynt Cl M. long; 1/2 M. wide), passing (38 M.) Skaig Bridge, whence a
road leads to the N. to Scourie (p. 567), and finally descend from the foot
of the loch to (49 M.) Loch Inver (p. 567).
From Lairg to Scoorie (44 M.; fare 12s.) and to Durness (56 M.; 15s.),
mail-carts daily in. 71/2 and 9 hrs. respectively. The road, leading to the
N. from the hotel, skirts the N.E. bank of Loch Shin for 5 M., then quits
it for 7 M. more, but returns to it at the (12 M.) river Fiag. Ben Clibrick
(3154 ft), Ben Hope (p. 565), Ben Hee (see below), and Ben More successively
come in sight as we proceed. Near tbe lower end of the loch numerous
traces of attempts at reclamation may be observed. We finally quit Loch
Shin at (16 M.) Overscaig Inn, and proceed to the N.W. passing Loch Griam
and Loch Merkland. To the left stretches Reay Deer Forest, culminating
in Ben Hee (2S64 ft.). At the N. end of Loch More we reach (30 M.) Achfarrie,
beyond which the road runs between Ben Stack (2367 ft.) and Loch Stack.
We follow the Laxford, the discharge of the latter, to (37 M.) Laxford
Bridge (p. 567), where the routes to (44 M.) Scourie (p. 667) and to (56 M.)
Durness separate (comp. p. 567).
From Lairg to Tonhue, 38 M., mail-cart on Tues., Thurs., and Sat.
in 7 hrs. (fare 10s.), returning on the alternate days. We follow the Scourie
route (see above) for 2 M., then turn to the right and ascend Strath Tirry
to (12 M.) Crask (tavern), beyond which we descend through a moorland
region with distant mountain-views to (21 M.) Altnaharra (inn), near the
head of Loch Naver (6 M. long). A road diverging here to the W. leads to
(20 M.) Erribol (see p. 568); another, leading to the E., skirts the N. bank
of Loch Naver and then descends Strath Naver to (23 M.) Bettyhill (p. 568).
— The Tongue road runs to the N. over moorland, then descends to pass
between Loch Loyal and Ben Loyal (2500 ft.). We enjoy a fine sea-view
on the final descent to (38 M.) Tongue (p. 568).
Beyond Lairg the railway descends to the coast through Strath-
fleet. 78 M. The Mound, so called from a mound 1000 yds. long, con¬
structed by Telford across Loch Fleet to afford a passage for the road.
A light railway runs hence (73A M. in >/2 hr.) to Dornoch (Sutherland
Arms, R. 3s., D. 4s.; Station Hotel, R. 4s. 6d., D. 5s), the clean and quiet
county-town (514 inhab.) of Sutherland, with a 13th cent. Cathedral, now
used as the parish-church, and one tower of a castle destroyed in 1570.
Good sea-bathing and golfing.
To the left rises Ben Bhragie (1256 ft.), on the summit of which
is a colossal monument, by Chantrey, to the first Duke of Suther-