DUNFERMLINE. 73. Route. bbV
in R. 72b; the following is a description of the route of the N.B.R. via
the Forth Bridge and Glenfarg.
From Edinburgh (Waverley) to (1374 M.) Inverkeithing, the
junction for the Dundee line, see R. 72a. The Perth line runs to
the N. and soon enters the Lower Station of (163/a M.) Dunfermline
(City Arms; Royal; Amer. Consul, Mr. J. N. McCunn), a linen-
manufacturing town with (1901) 25,250 inhab., of interest to tourists
for its *Abbey, founded by Queen Margaret and Malcolm Canmore
towards the end of the llth century. Of their building nothing now
remains; but the nave of the second church on this site, a fine Nor¬
man edifice of 1150, still exists in conjunction with a barbarous
modern structure of 1820. Robert Bruce, whose grave is marked by
a monumental brass erected in 1888, and other Scottish nionarchs
are buried here.
The scanty remains of Dunfermline Palace, the birthplace of Charles I.,
adjoin, and though still crown property are under the same management
as, Pittencrieff Park and Glen, which were presented to Dunfermline in
1903 by Mr. Andrew Carnegie, a native of the town, together with an
endowment of 500,000L to be administered for tbe educational, social, and
moral benefit of the citizens. This interesting sociological experiment
has led so far to the establishment of a museum, branch-libraries, a
college of hygiene and physical training, a gymnasium and baths, and of
various means of recreation.
From Dunfermline (Upper Station) a line runs to (20 Min.) Stirling
(p. 535) via (13 M.) Alloa.
2172 M. Crossgates, the junction of a line to Thornton Junction
(for St. Andrews, Dundee, etc.; see p. 551); 2272 M. New Cowden¬
beath; 2374 M. Kelty; 263/4 M. Blairadam. To the right lies Loch
Leven (p. 536). 2972 M. Loch Leven Station. — 3072 M. Kinross,
the junction of a line to Stirling (see p. 535). — At (34 M.) Maw-
carse the new direct line diverges to the left from the old line to
Ladybarik (p. 551) and enters the romantic vale oi*Glenfarg. Two
tunnels. 3772 M. Glenfarg. At (44 M.) Bridge of Earn our line
unites with the old line from Ladybank. — 48 M. Perth, see p. 553.
Beyond Perth we continue our journey by the Highland Rail¬
way, one of the most beautiful lines in the three kingdoms. —
474 M. (from Perth) Luncarty (p. 554); 774 M. Stanley Junction,
for the line to Forfar and Aberdeen (p. 554) ; 1074 M. Murthly. The
train now skirts the base of Birnam Hill (see p. 560; to the left),
the woods of which marched to Dunsinane (see p. 554), to the dis¬
comfiture of Macbeth.
1572 M. Dunkeld (^Birnam, finely situated near the station,
R.4-6s., B. 3s., D.4s. Gd.; Atholl Arms, R. 2s. 6s., D. from 3s.,
*Royal, R. from 3s. Gd., D. 4s. Gd., in the town), a small 'city' with
900 inhab., charmingly situated on the left bank of the Tay, 72 M.
from the station, which is in Birnam. We reach the *Park of the
Duke of Atholl by crossing the bridge and going straight through
the town; about 50 yds. beyond the end of the town, to the left,
is the entrance to the park. Here we are met by a guide (adm. for
1-2 pers. 2s., each member of a party Is.), who conducts us to the