552 Route 72. DUNDEE. From Edinburgh
Dundee, the third city of Scotland in size, with (1901) 160,871
inhab., is a busy commercial and manufacturing place (linen, jute,
etc.), but possesses little interest for the tourist. The *Old Steeple
(156 ft. high), in the Nethergate, dates from the 14th cent., and
is one of the finest church-towers in Scotland (adm. Id. ; view).
Adjacent is the Town Cross (1586). The Albert Institute, with a
museum and a picture-gallery, is a modern Gothic edifice by Sir
G. G. Scott. The University College, established in 1883, chiefly
with Miss Baxter's bequest of 140,000i., now forms part of St,
Andrews University (p. 551). The Royal Infirmary is an extensive
building. Good views are obtained from the Esplanade, skirting
the Tay, from the Baxter Park, and from Dundee Law (570 ft.). —
From Dundee to Perth, see p. 554.
The train now turns to the E. and skirts the N. bank of the Tay
estuary. 63 M. Broughiy Ferry, a favourite residence of the citizens
of Dundee, at the mouth of the Tay; 6572 M. Monifieth; 70 M.
Carnoustie (Bruce's Hotel), a watering-place, with golf-links. The
line skirts the coast, with views of the sea. — 76 M. Arbroath
(White Hart, R. or D. 3s. 6d.; Imperial), an industrial town and
seaport, with (1901) 22,372 inhab., possesses an interesting ruined
*Abbey, founded by William the Lion in 1178. The remains are
mainly E.E. About 10 M. off the coast is the Inchcape or Bell Rock
Lighthouse. Arbroath and its neighbourhood are described in Scott's
'Antiquary'. — 90M. Montrose (Central; Star; Queen's Temperance),
a clean little seaport at themouth of the South Esk, with 14,000 in¬
hab., is said to have been the birthplace of the Marquis of Montrose
(in 1612), and it was the first place in Scotland where Greek, was
taught. A branch runs hence to the N. to (12 M.) Bervie (Castle).
Beyond (92 M.) Hillside our line unites with the Caledonian
Railway (p. 554). Stations Laurencekirk and Fordoun. — 11472 M.
Stonehaven (Royal; Station, R. 3s. Gd.), the county-town of Kin¬
cardine, visited for bathing (4900 inhab.). A little to the S. (to the
right of the railway), perched upon a rock overhanging the sea, are
the picturesque ruins of *Dunnottar Castle, built in the 13th cent.
and afterwards possessed by the Keiths, Earls Marischal of Scotland.
131 M. Aberdeen, see p. 556.
b. Caledonian Railway via Perth and Forfar.
155 M. Railway in 31/2-51/3 hrs. (fares 21s., 9s. 8d.). Comp. p. 550.
From Edinburgh (Waverley) to (36 M.) Stirling and (41 M.)
Dunblane, see R. 68. Here the line to Callander and Oban (comp.
pp 535, 543) diverges to the left, while the Perth line runs to
the right (N.). 50 M. Greenloaning, 2 M. from which is the Roman
camp of Ardoch. — 5772 M- Crieff Junction.
From Crieff Junction to Balqehidder, railway in li/4-2 hrs. — 5M.
Muthill (inn), J.1/2 M. from the village, whence an omnibus plies six times
daily to (3 M.) Crieff. — 9 M. Crieff (Royal; Drummond Arms; 'Hydropathic,
pens, from 66s. 6d. per week), a town with 5200 inhab., situated on a