ST. ANDREWS. 72. Route. 551
2 M., was the birthplace of Adam Smith (1723-90). Thomas Car¬
lyle and Edward Irving were school-teachers here. — Near (28 M.)
Dysart the line turns to the N. and quits the Firth of Forth. —
31 M. Thornton Junction (Rail. Rfmt. Room).
Lines run hence to the W. to Dunfermline and Stirling (comp. pp. 559,
535); to the S. to Buckhaven and Methil; and to the E. along the coast, via
Leven, Largo, Elie, Anstruther, and Crail (all sea-bathing and golfing-resorts),
to St. Andrews (see below).
33 M. Markinch is the junction of a line to Leslie. — At the village
of Falkland (Bruce Arms), 3 M. to the W. of (3672 M.) Falkland
Road (omnibus five times daily), is an old royal Palace (16th cent.;
restored), now the property of the Marquis of Bute. Nothing
remains of the castle in which the Duke of Rothesay was starved
to death by the Regent Albany in 1402. — At (39 M.) Ladybank
lines diverge to Perth (p. 553) and Kinross (p. 559). — 4472 M.
Cupar (Royal; Tontine), the county-town of Fifeshire, with
4500 inhabitants. The County Hall contains portraits by Wilkie,
Raeburn, and Allan Ramsay. — 51 M. Leuchars, with a fine old
Norman church, is the junction of a line to (472 M.) St. Andrews,
and of another to (572 M.) Tayport, opposite Broughty Ferry (p. 552).
St. Andrews ("Marine, Grand, Golf, R. from 2s. 6d., D. 4s., all near the
golf-links; Royal, South St., R.4s.-5s., D.3s.6d.; Alexandra, near the station,
quiet and pleasant), an ancient town with 9400 inhab., long the ecclesiastical
metropolis of Scotland, is the seat of one of the four Scottish universities
(founded 1411), and is perhaps the most fashionable watering-place in the
country. It is the 'Metropolis of Golf, and the chief Golf Meetings, in
May and October, attract large gatherings of visitors. It is one of the most
ancient towns of Scotland, and the see of St. Andrews dates back to the
8th century. Patrick Hamilton, one of the first (1527), and Walter Mill
(1558), the last Scottish martyr of the Reformation, both suffered at St.
Andrews. George Wishart also was burned here in 1545, and his execu¬
tion led to the speedy death of the Archbishop, Cardinal Beaton, who was
assassinated in his palace in 1546 by several of Wishart's friends. The
ruins of the "Cathedral, built between 1159 and 1318, show that it must
have been a very fine and extensive edifice. Adjacent is the square Tower
of St. Regulus (108 ft.; view), erected about 1130 but assigned by popular
tradition to a Pictish monarch of the 4th cent., and said to have been
built in honour of St. Regulus, a Greek saint, shipwrecked here with the
bones of St. Andrew, who henceforth became the patron-saint of Scotland.
It may, however, occupy the site of an original Culdee cell. Near the W.
end of the cathedral is the beautiful arcade known as the Pends. On a
rock rising above the sea is the old Castle of the bishops. Opposite
Madras College, a large school attended by about 900 boys, is a beautiful
little fragment of a Dominican priory of the 13th century. The University
of St. Andrews (460 students) includes the College of St. Mary (theological)
and the United Colleges of SS. Salvator and Leonard, at St. Andrews, and
the University College, at Dundee (see below). A visit should be paid to
the fine "Golf Links, alive during the season with hundreds of votaries of
the Scottish national pastime.
The train now crosses the Tay by the substantial Tay Bridge,
2 M. long, opened in 1887, and enters the Tay Bridge Station at —
5972 M. Dundee. — Hotels. Qoeen's, Royal, both in Nethergate;
Royal British, High St.; Lamb's Temperance, Reform St.
Railway Stations. Tay Bridge Station, for N.B.R. trains* Dundee West,
for Caledonian trains to Perth ; Dundee East, a joint-station, for trains to
Forfar, Arbroath, Aberdeen. — American Consul, John C. Higgins.