546 Route 70. LOCH MAREE.
the Beauly Firth, is the great travellers' centre for the N. of Scot¬
land, as Oban is for the W. coast. The Northern Meeting Highland
Gathering takes place here annually in the third week of Septem¬
ber. The chief points of interest in the town are included in the
following walk. Starting from the station, we pass through Union St.
and Church St. to the (3 min.) Town Hall, a modern Gothic build¬
ing, in front of which, under the restored Cross, is the Clach-na-
Cudden, or 'stone of the tubs',, regarded as the palladium of Inver¬
ness. We thence ascend to the (3 min.) County Buildings and Pri¬
son, a castellated building on a hill, on which stood the castle of
Macbeth, supposed by some to have been the scene of King Dun¬
can's murder (comp. pp. 547, 554). A Statue of Flora Macdonald
was unveiled here in 1899. Culduthel Road leads on hence to
(ViM.) Godsman's Walk, a narrow terrace-path commanding a fine
view of .the river and town. Thence we return to the castle en¬
closure, descend to the river, and walk along the bank to (25 min.)
the Islands, a favourite promenade, resembling the Margarethen-
insel at Budapest, and connected with both banks by bridges.
We now cross to the left bank and return towards Inverness, pass¬
ing (10 min.) the Northern Infirmary and (5 min.) the *Cathedral
of St. Andrew, a handsome Dec. building, erected in 1866-69;
the interior is adorned with monolithic granite columns and stained
glass. We may here diverge to the left, soon again turning to the
left, and visit (l/4 hr.) Tomnahurich ('hill of the fairies'), a hill
laid out as a cemetery (open daily 6-8, Sun. 1-6), and command¬
ing a fine view of the 'rose-red' town of Inverness. From the
cathedral we return, across the Suspension Bridge, to the (5 min.)
station. Another walk may be taken in the opposite direction to
Cromwell's Fort, built by Cromwell in 1652-57, near the month
of the Ness, and affording a view of the Beauly and Moray Firths.
Excursions from Inverness.
To Craig Phadrig, a hill 21/2 M. to the W., commanding fine views,
and with traces of a vitrified fort. — To Culloden Moor, 5 M. to the S.E.
(one-horse carr. there and back 10s. 6d.; railway-station, see p. 562), where
Prince Charles Stuart, the Pretender, was defeated on 16th April, 1746. —
The Fall of Foyers (p. 545) may also be visited by carriage from Inverness
(18 M.; picturesque road; carr. and pair there and back ca. 30s.). — To
Beauly and the Falls of Kilmorack, see p. 562.
To Loch Maree and Gairloch, 77 M., in 7 hrs. (fares 1st cl. 16s. 9d.,
3rd cl. 13s.). From Inverness via Dingwall to (47 M.) Achnasheen, see
p. 563. At Achnasheen (lunch at the hotel, 2s.-2s. 6d.) we change from the
railway to the coach. — The road to Loch Maree skirts the small Loch
Rosque and traverses moorlands. 10 M. (IV2 hr.'s drive) Kinlochewe ("Hotel,
R. 4s.), whence a mail-cart plies to (12 M.) Loch Torridon (fare 3s.). I21/2 M.
Rhu Nohar, at the S.E. extremity of tbe lake (steamer, see p. 547). *Loch
Maree is a wild and romantic lake, 18 M. long, surrounded by lofty moun¬
tains. To the N. rises Ben Slioch (3216 ft.), ascended from Kinlochewe in
7-8 hrs. (there and back). About halfway down the S. side of the loch is
the (19 M.; iy2hr.) "Loch Maree Hotel (R. 4s. 6d., D. 4«.; boats for hire),
at Talladale. About 2 M. farther on the coach quits the lake and proceeds
to theW., through Kerrydale, to (29 M.) Gairloch (Hotel, R. 4s. 6d., B. 3s.,