West End Park. GLASGOW. 67. Route. 529
side is the tomb of Edward Irving (A. 1834), of whom a portrait appears,
as John the Baptist, in the window above.
Glasgow Cathedral is frequently referred to in 'Rob Roy', and the
classical description of it is undoubtedly that of Andrew Fairservice.
To the left of the eathedral stands the Royal Infirmary (PL H, 3).
In the vicinity, in front of the handsome Barony Church (PL H.
3, 4), is a statue of Dr. Norman Macleod (A. 1872), by Mossmau.
On a height to the E. of the cathedral is the *Necropolis (PL
H, 4), containing numerous substantial monuments, the most con¬
spicuous of which is the column to the memory of John _iox(p. 519).
Near it is the grave of Sheridan Knowles (A. 1862). Fine views
(closed 6 p.m.).
From the cathedral we proceed through High St. and George
St. to George Square (PL F, 4), the finest open space in the city,
surrounded by the magnificent Municipal Buildings (E.; adm. free
10.30 to 11.30 and 3 to 4), the Post Office (S.), the Bank of Scot¬
land, the Merchants' House (W.), several Hotels, and other sub¬
In the centre of the square rises a column 80 ft. high, surmounted
by a statue of Sir Walter Scott. Adjacent are equestrian statues, by Maro-
chetti, of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The other statues are those
of Sir John Moore (A. 1809), by Flaxman; Colin Campbell, Lord Clyde (A. 1863),
by Foley; James Watt (d.1819), by Chantrey; Sir Robert Peel (d.1850), by
Mossman; William Pitt (A. 1806), by Flaxman; Dr. Graham, by Brodie;
Robert Burns (d. 1796), by Ewing; Thomas Campbell (A. 1844), by Mossman;
James Oswald, by Marochetti; Dr. Livingstone (d.1873), by Mossman; and
Mr. Gladstone (A. 1898), by Thornycroft.
In Queen St., to the S. of George Sq., stands the Royal Ex¬
change (PL F, 4), in the Corinthian style. In front is an Eqitestrian
Statue of the Duke of Wellington, by Marochetti.
The Mitchell Library (adm. free; 9.30 a.m. to 10 p.m.), 23 Miller St.
(PL F, 4), contains upwards of 80,000 vols., including 5000 relating to Glas¬
gow and 1100 to Robert Burns. Its fine magazine-room is supplied with
about 270 periodicals.
The busiest streets are Argyle Street (PL D, E, 4), Buchanan
Street (PL F, 3, 4), Union Street (PL E, 4), and Sauchiehall Street
(PL C, D, E, 3), which contain the most attractive shops.
Sauchiehall St., a long street joining the E. and W. quarters
of the town, leads via Charing Cross on the W. to the pretty
*Kelvingrove or West End Park (PL A, B, 2), through which flows
the river Kelvin. Near the centre of the park is the Stewart Memorial
Fountain and at its S.W. corner are the *Art Galleries (PL A, 2),
opened in 1901, which also include the City Industrial Museum.
The permanent collection of paintings is the most interesting and
valuable provincial public gallery in the kingdom of works of Dutch,
Flemish, Venetian and other masters; it includes specimens of
Ruysdael, A. Cuyp, Hobbema, Mieris, Oslade, Van der Goes, Rem¬
brandt, Rubens, Titian, Palma Vecchio, Botticelli, Murillo, Constable,
Turner, Troyon, Millet, Corot, etc. Among the modem works is
Whistler's portrait of Thomas Carlyle. The sculptures include a
statue of Pitt, by Flaxman.
Baedeker's Great Britain fin. v.«m 3^