528 Route 67. GLASGOW. Cathedral.
Glasgow is one of the best governed cities in Great Britain. The gas and
water works, tramway lines, parks, etc., are under the management of the
Corporation, which has also established model lodging-houses and public
baths and wash-bouses, and in other ways busied itself with the sanitary
well-being of the city. — The admirable water-supply is derived from Loch
Katrine (p. 534), 42 M. distant. Nearly 2'/2 millions sterling have been
expended upon the works, which are now being extended.
The *Harhour and Docks of Glasgow are always thronged with
vessels from all the corners of the earth. Ahout half-a-century ago
the Clyde at Glasgow was only 180 ft. wide and 3 ft. deep; now,
by continual dredging, it is nearly 500 ft. wide and deep enough
for the largest ocean liners. Since 1854 upwards of 7,000,000t.
have been spent on the harbour and dock works, and the revenue of
the Clyde Navigation Trust has increased from 86,000*. to 517,000^.
The total of goods imported and exported has increased in the same
period from about 1,000,000 tons to over 9,000,000 tons. The
water-area of the harbour (which extends along the river for2!/2 M.)
and the docks is over 290 acres; the total length of the quays is
nearly 9 M.
From the Central Station (PI. E, 4) Union St. and Jamaica St.
lead to the S. to Glasgow Bridge (PL F, 5; *View of the harbour),
rebuilt in 1899, immediately below which is the *Broomielaw
(PL D, E, 5), a quay 800 ft. long, on the N. side of the river,
whence most of the river passenger-steamers start. A little to the
S.E., adjoining the river, is the open space known as Glasgow
Green (PL G, H, 6), with Nelson's Monument and the People's Palace,
including a museum, art-gallery, and winter-garden. From the W.
end of the Green the Saltmarket, the home of Bailie Nicol Jarvie,
leads northwards to the Cross (PL G, 5), marked by the steeple of
the old Tolbooth, at the S. end of High St. From the Cross the
Trongate, with an equestrian statue of William III. and the steeple
of the old Tron Church (PL G, 5; comp. p. 519), runs towards the
W. to Argyle St. (p. 529). — The High Street (PL G, 4, 5), leading
to the cathedral, was the chief thoroughfare of the old city of
St. Mungo. At 'Bell o' the Brae', the point where it sweeps to the
right and begins to ascend, Wallace defeated a detachment of the
English in 1300.
The ^Cathedral (PL H, 3; open daily 10-6, Nov. to Feb. 10-4,
free), situated on the N.E. side of the town, is a fine edifice, dating
from the 12-15th cent, and mainly in the E.E. style. The Sunday
services are at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. The building is 320 ft. long,
70 ft. wide, and 90 ft. high; the tower is 220 ft. in height.
Interior (fine organ). The Nave (14th cent.) has a timber ceiling. The
windows throughout the church have been filled with modern stained glass,
chiefly from Munich, at a cost of 100,000L The Choir, separated from
the nave by a carved screen, is a good specimen of E.E., probably dating
from early in the 13th century. Behind the choir are the Lady Chapel
and Chapter House. Below the choir is the "Crypt, the chief glory of the
cathedral, a charmingly proportioned structure, with fine vaulting. Some
of its 65 pillars are surmounted by exquisitely carved capitals. On the N